Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

Olympic Gold

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1TeKnO_CaLiTY Feb 19 2010, 19:59 PM
So far USA has more gold/silver/bronze then any other country. Explain why we are so great at the summer and now winter olympics?

Where is your beloved Australia Mirage? We have 18 medals ohmy.gif

http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals/2010-standings/index.html

This post has been edited by TeKnO_CaLiTY: Feb 19 2010, 20:02 PM

Clan: CrAzY

Game: Graphics

+
# 2IpKaiFung Feb 19 2010, 23:21 PM
310 million people vs 22 million people plus austraila aren't big into winter sports. Sports which are generally practiced by wealthy individuals or live in icy conditions.

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 3TeKnO_CaLiTY Feb 19 2010, 23:26 PM
QUOTE(IpKaiFung @ Feb 19 2010, 16:21 PM) *

310 million people vs 22 million people plus austraila aren't big into winter sports. Sports which are generally practiced by wealthy individuals or live in icy conditions.

i knew statistics would come into play lol

+
# 4[OoE]MiRaGE Feb 20 2010, 00:36 AM
Australia is a very cold country, lots of snow around here.

Clan: Order Of The Elites

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 5xFactor Feb 20 2010, 00:45 AM
I can tell by that Sun in your signature. Sun shines all the time when your cool.

Game: CNC Generals

+
# 6Trojan. Feb 20 2010, 03:29 AM
Maybe if you went to school you'd realise the climate of Australia isn't exactly conducive to high performance in sub-zero sports.

If you only count genuine events, Norway is in the lead. Snowboard/Freestyle events are a load of rubbish, and yes I'm saying that knowing it's where we've won 5 out of our 8 medals (3/4 Gold) in those events.

It's amazing that you still rely on all time gods such as Bode Miller and Apollo Anton Ohno to get medals.

Tim Burke's performances have been a good indication of your country's ability when it matters in real events.

At the end of the day, discussing USA and sport isn't really possible when they are either non-existent or very weak in most of the major global sports.

+
# 7[OoE]MiRaGE Feb 20 2010, 03:45 AM
we OWN the speed skating, including the godly Ohno..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfQMJtilOGg

Epic race!

+
# 8TeKnO_CaLiTY Feb 20 2010, 03:48 AM
QUOTE(Trojan. @ Feb 19 2010, 20:29 PM) *

At the end of the day, discussing USA and sport isn't really possible when they are either non-existent or very weak in most of the major global sports.

ROFLS
I could say the same about any other country trying to come and play in the NBA/NHL/MLB. But hey lets not get personal now Trojan, I only posted this in jest. Just to rib Mirage a little, and yes I know Australia isn't the coldest of places sleep.gif

Btw Mirage you know Australia hasn't won a gold medal in speed skating yet right? Shani Davis won the 1000m (USA)

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-speed...h1021777WF.html

ALL I CAN SAY IS SHAWN MOTHERFU*KIN WHITE!!! BOOOYAH!

This post has been edited by TeKnO_CaLiTY: Feb 20 2010, 03:52 AM

+
# 9Trojan. Feb 20 2010, 03:49 AM
QUOTE(TeKnO_CaLiTY @ Feb 20 2010, 11:48 AM) *

ROFLS
I could say the same about any other country trying to come and play in the NBA/NHL/MLB. But hey lets not get personal now Trojan, I only posted this in jest. Just to rib Mirage a little, and yes I know Australia isn't the coldest of places sleep.gif

Thank you for proving my point. Your knowledge of global sport is pitiful.

+
# 10[OoE]MiRaGE Feb 20 2010, 03:55 AM
Well your post didn't annoy me in the slightest sad.gif

Lol @ taking my post about us dominating speed skating seriously btw.
It's obviously dominated by the Koreans, chinese, japs and the Dutch.

This post has been edited by [OoE]MiRaGE: Feb 20 2010, 03:58 AM

+
# 11Trojan. Feb 20 2010, 03:57 AM
QUOTE(TeKnO_CaLiTY @ Feb 20 2010, 11:48 AM) *

ROFLS

Btw Mirage you know Australia hasn't won a gold medal in speed skating yet right? Shani Davis won the 1000m (USA)

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-speed...h1021777WF.html

ALL I CAN SAY IS SHAWN MOTHERFU*KIN WHITE!!! BOOOYAH!

Who did Shani beg to throw the race this time?

+
# 12TeKnO_CaLiTY Feb 20 2010, 05:01 AM
QUOTE(Trojan. @ Feb 19 2010, 20:57 PM) *

Who did Shani beg to throw the race this time?

I think he paid your mom off with fellatio? ohmy.gif

BTW Trojan we have SHAWN WHITE! The most pro snowboarder ever to be born. And I can actually say I partied with the guy back in Japan. With 2 gold medals and besides knowing hes a godsend to his sport, he's actually a pretty chill guy.

This post has been edited by TeKnO_CaLiTY: Feb 20 2010, 05:13 AM

+
# 13TeKnO_CaLiTY Feb 20 2010, 05:05 AM
QUOTE(Trojan. @ Feb 19 2010, 20:49 PM) *

Thank you for proving my point. Your knowledge of global sport is pitiful.

You talk about global sports... such as soccer, rugby, badminton, tennis, croquet, ??? what pray tell are the sports you consider to test ones athleticism? Would you consider Golf a worldly sport? Cause we kick your ass in that as well, Tiger Woods- Would you consider Cycling a world sport? Tour de France... Cause we kick your ass in that as well, Lance Armstrong- I wanna hear all these worldly sports you are talking about that surpass the USA so immensely Trojan.

Cause I guarantee no other country can come and compete against the NBA, NFL, MLB, or NHL. If the USA's sports are so menial and deplorable why can't you come over and make millions Trojan? If its such childs play....

I love the idiocy of your rants. Your mentality really astounds me, its like 3rd grade "My Dad can beat up Your Dad!"

This post has been edited by TeKnO_CaLiTY: Feb 20 2010, 05:36 AM

+
# 14Trojan. Feb 20 2010, 06:39 AM
QUOTE(TeKnO_CaLiTY @ Feb 20 2010, 13:05 PM) *

You talk about global sports... such as soccer, rugby, badminton, tennis, croquet, ??? what pray tell are the sports you consider to test ones athleticism? Would you consider Golf a worldly sport? Cause we kick your ass in that as well, Tiger Woods- Would you consider Cycling a world sport? Tour de France... Cause we kick your ass in that as well, Lance Armstrong- I wanna hear all these worldly sports you are talking about that surpass the USA so immensely Trojan.

Cause I guarantee no other country can come and compete against the NBA, NFL, MLB, or NHL. If the USA's sports are so menial and deplorable why can't you come over and make millions Trojan? If its such childs play....

I love the idiocy of your rants. Your mentality really astounds me, its like 3rd grade "My Dad can beat up Your Dad!"

lol, how many Paris-Roubaix have you won? How many track golds in Olympics or WC? ITT World Championships? You can't count Armstrong and his 7 GT wins, they go to Italy my friend... (google Michele Ferrari). Outside Europe, no one matters in cycling. Spain/Belgium/Italy are that much better than anyone else it's not funny, although if you want you can check out the UCI rankings for 2009 http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAM...mp;RankId=151... Nice ranking there USA. If you knew anything about cycling you wouldn't be saying the USA was good at it, in fact national boundaries mean little in cycling today.

The biggest global sports are Football, Rugby and Cricket.

Football is a major sport on all continents, the US is a mediocre team which will not have an impact in the knockout stages of the world cup in the next 20 years.

Rugby is a major sport in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America.

Cricket is a major sport in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia.

Baseball is a major sport in North America and Asia.

Basketball is a major sport in North America, South America and Europe (maybe Asia?).

Ice Hockey is a major sport in North America and Europe.

American Football is a national sport, much like Australian Football, they are club sports and for the purpose of this thread are irrelevant. Again, the need to mention this shows ignorance.

Golf isn't exactly a sport, it's restricted by playing cards etc (there's only a limited number of spots on the European or USPGA tours) it's not an open access sport. Outside of the USPGA, competitors from the United States have little impact.

But if golf is a sport so is Formula 1 and MotoGP...

I never said US sports were menial, I enjoy NFL (watch a game or so a week) and often follow the NBA and MLB playoffs. There is nothing wrong with these sports - but they are not massive outside of your culture and global competitions of these sports don't reach the heights of the Football, Rugby or Cricket world cups.

Of these sports only Basketball is played semi-professionally in Australia, these sports have no place in our culture, maybe if they were bigger on the world scale there would be greater uptake though.

You came in here bragging about the excellence of USA on a global scale (the olympics). It's my right to be able to question that. Australia is mediocre (although per capita an excellent sporting nation) on average across all sports, and so is the USA, if you cannot see that you are ignorant/naive etc.

No nation is excellent across all sports, and the best measure of how great a nation is currently, is on the record of their football team. After all, the World Cup makes the Olympics look like a joke. If you go to India, or Spain, or Argentina or South Africa and start saying how good the USA is in sport in general they would think you are taking the piss.

I have no problem with your national sports, simply a problem with people coming out with all this national pride nonsense about how good they are at sport, and that doesn't matter whether you're Australian or American. You have no sporting cultural links with us. You cannot brag or banter with us because it's all on a different wave length. Australians will often engage in these activities with English, South Africans and New Zealanders because we actually compete against each other in our major sports. But any attempt to do so between Aus and USA, or Aus and China etc is exactly as you say "My dad" nonsense. And as far as that goes, you made the thread, so...

+
# 15TeKnO_CaLiTY Feb 20 2010, 06:57 AM
Hmm, well spoken for once. Can't say I disagreed with anything you typed for once, cept for the Lance Armstrong comment.... how can you say USA can't claim him??? lmao he was born in fucking Texas for Christ sakes.... How much more American can you get?

Like I said I only posted this to jest with Mirage a bit. No harm no foul.

Also do you consider snowboarding a sport? Cause we dominated that shit!!

This post has been edited by TeKnO_CaLiTY: Feb 20 2010, 07:00 AM

+
# 16Trojan. Feb 20 2010, 07:03 AM
I believe the plane crash in Austin was going for him!

+
# 17Trojan. Feb 20 2010, 07:20 AM
I dunno about snowboarding pal, it's a bit hard for me to judge when the nearest snow is 5000km away.

For me the Winter Olympics are about Alpine Skiing, the Nordic events and Speed Skating.

And of course figure skating...

+
# 18[OoE]MiRaGE Feb 20 2010, 08:09 AM
QUOTE(Trojan. @ Feb 20 2010, 16:39 PM) *

lol, how many Paris-Roubaix have you won? How many track golds in Olympics or WC? ITT World Championships? You can't count Armstrong and his 7 GT wins, they go to Italy my friend... (google Michele Ferrari). Outside Europe, no one matters in cycling. Spain/Belgium/Italy are that much better than anyone else it's not funny, although if you want you can check out the UCI rankings for 2009 http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAM...mp;RankId=151... Nice ranking there USA. If you knew anything about cycling you wouldn't be saying the USA was good at it, in fact national boundaries mean little in cycling today.

The biggest global sports are Football, Rugby and Cricket.

Football is a major sport on all continents, the US is a mediocre team which will not have an impact in the knockout stages of the world cup in the next 20 years.

Rugby is a major sport in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America.

Cricket is a major sport in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia.

Baseball is a major sport in North America and Asia.

Basketball is a major sport in North America, South America and Europe (maybe Asia?).

Ice Hockey is a major sport in North America and Europe.

American Football is a national sport, much like Australian Football, they are club sports and for the purpose of this thread are irrelevant. Again, the need to mention this shows ignorance.

Golf isn't exactly a sport, it's restricted by playing cards etc (there's only a limited number of spots on the European or USPGA tours) it's not an open access sport. Outside of the USPGA, competitors from the United States have little impact.

But if golf is a sport so is Formula 1 and MotoGP...

I never said US sports were menial, I enjoy NFL (watch a game or so a week) and often follow the NBA and MLB playoffs. There is nothing wrong with these sports - but they are not massive outside of your culture and global competitions of these sports don't reach the heights of the Football, Rugby or Cricket world cups.

Of these sports only Basketball is played semi-professionally in Australia, these sports have no place in our culture, maybe if they were bigger on the world scale there would be greater uptake though.

You came in here bragging about the excellence of USA on a global scale (the olympics). It's my right to be able to question that. Australia is mediocre (although per capita an excellent sporting nation) on average across all sports, and so is the USA, if you cannot see that you are ignorant/naive etc.

No nation is excellent across all sports, and the best measure of how great a nation is currently, is on the record of their football team. After all, the World Cup makes the Olympics look like a joke. If you go to India, or Spain, or Argentina or South Africa and start saying how good the USA is in sport in general they would think you are taking the piss.

I have no problem with your national sports, simply a problem with people coming out with all this national pride nonsense about how good they are at sport, and that doesn't matter whether you're Australian or American. You have no sporting cultural links with us. You cannot brag or banter with us because it's all on a different wave length. Australians will often engage in these activities with English, South Africans and New Zealanders because we actually compete against each other in our major sports. But any attempt to do so between Aus and USA, or Aus and China etc is exactly as you say "My dad" nonsense. And as far as that goes, you made the thread, so...

I completely disagree with every single thing you said.....................................

Well, the part about us being mediocre, well every nation is pretty much in that case. As you said, no nation dominates accross all sports. Everyone has their strong points and interests.
But we do produce lots of world champions in individual sports and our teams are all strong, but the same can be said for quite a few other countries. Spain in particular are a powerful sporting nation.

And Teknoman, it's always a pleasure to talk sport, beats talking about Zero Hour smile.gif

This post has been edited by [OoE]MiRaGE: Feb 20 2010, 08:13 AM

+
# 19TeKnO_CaLiTY Feb 20 2010, 08:20 AM
MiRaGE' date='Feb 20 2010, 01:09 AM' post='6916984']
And Teknoman, it's always a pleasure to talk sport, beats talking about Zero Hour smile.gif

Cheers to that smile.gif

Also Trojan I'm a big fan of snowboarding, I'm not to bad myself. I've seen the rise of snowboarding as a full fledged sport now, no longer just a hobby, and Shawn White is the pinnacle of talent when It comes to freestyle with 2 gold medals. The halfpipe is a very fun event to watch, its more entertaining to me then downhill skiing.....

IPB Image

This post has been edited by TeKnO_CaLiTY: Feb 20 2010, 08:21 AM

+
# 20spalding Feb 20 2010, 10:53 AM
I remember when Meza tried to convince me that the superbowl gets as many viewers as the soccer World Cup.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)