# 1kustodian Mar 3 2010, 18:16 PM
Heroes of Newerth Accursed Guide

Leave your comments.

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 2X-Flame Mar 3 2010, 18:46 PM
Greatest. Guide. Ever.

/self praising.

Any constructive feedback is appreciated, if it's valid enough I'll update it with your info.

Game: None

+
# 3Zankman Jack Mar 3 2010, 19:31 PM
On the bus today, I was thinking about, you guessed it, Accursed.
And then lol, I find this guide...

Overall, it's a very good guide, detailed and good descriptions of the abilities and tactics...

But I have to disagree; Playing a carry with him a waste? A think not.

It's apparent you wanted to describe him as the best support hero, and well, he might be; But saying that he is an a waste played as a carry is just silly. Also, you talked about him as a general support hero, not going into the aspect of tanking.

The most, IMO, unusual thing is that you didn't really acknowledge that he can easily play all 3 roles in a single game...

Still, great guide. B-

+
# 4BinAly Mar 3 2010, 19:51 PM
Extremely usefull guide. I would only add a little Flame Shield + Cauterize Trick: You can activate the Flame Shield prematurely by using Cauterize, effectively doubling your Nuke, even if the enemy is NOT targeting you.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 5snae Mar 3 2010, 20:21 PM
Elder Parasite is also good item for him.

+
# 6X-Flame Mar 3 2010, 21:40 PM
QUOTE(Zankman Jack @ Mar 3 2010, 20:31 PM) *

On the bus today, I was thinking about, you guessed it, Accursed.
And then lol, I find this guide...

Overall, it's a very good guide, detailed and good descriptions of the abilities and tactics...

But I have to disagree; Playing a carry with him a waste? A think not.

It's apparent you wanted to describe him as the best support hero, and well, he might be; But saying that he is an a waste played as a carry is just silly. Also, you talked about him as a general support hero, not going into the aspect of tanking.

The most, IMO, unusual thing is that you didn't really acknowledge that he can easily play all 3 roles in a single game...

Still, great guide. B-

It is a waste. Why get all that money for items when he doesn't scale as well into the late game as other heroes do? I will admit that if there's nobody else on your team to carry, then yes, in pubs you can be a decent semi-carry.

Also, there's been so much talking about tanking and whether it is a role or not that I'm not going to touch that until it's all cleared up.

BinAly: I didn't even think of that until now. I'll add it into my guide later, thanks!

Thanks for the feedback so far guys smile.gif

+
# 7madmandrit Mar 3 2010, 22:37 PM
Very nice guide man biggrin.gif Thanks for it ^ ^

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 8Oreb Mar 4 2010, 08:07 AM
BinAly: I didn't even think of that until now. I'll add it into my guide later, thanks!

I thought it was common knowledge to shield yourself + cauterize the enemy. You don't take damage from it, or if you heal your ally you don't take damage either and it brings you one hit away from breaking the shield.

Game: Hardware

+
# 9X-Flame Mar 4 2010, 11:27 AM
Updated with relevant info.

+
# 10AngryHan Mar 4 2010, 11:39 AM
Yes he should be played as support, and in any competitive game that's his role. He IS a competent carry though and you shouldn't take a complete dump on that. If the rest of your team are retards and your actual carry isn't carrying, then a well farmed accursed is very hard to take down. I'd like to think his passive is a semi steroid.

Clan: H2

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 11X-Flame Mar 4 2010, 11:44 AM
Guides are aimed at games in which every hero is played at least semi-decent. So the ganker will gank, the baby-sitter will baby-sit and the carry will carry. I'm not putting down that he can carry, because in pubs, every hero can carry, even Nymphora. He is a support hero and this guide is aimed towards that role.

+
# 12Insane_Rabbi Mar 4 2010, 17:31 PM
Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery Mana Battery

TL:DR At The End

He lives every team fight with his ult - he survives for an extra few seconds every gank after level 6 via his ult - Every few spells the enemy casts is one more heal or shield for accursed... and it is a required item since he will be getting 15 Charges on it EVERY TEAM FIGHT - thats 225 mana (and HP, but mainly its for the mana regen) which is enough basically for another round of shield/heal bomb.

Also, maxing Cauterize before shield is more standard IMO, whereas shield maxing is only done when you KNOW you will be tower diving (Accursed / Soul Reaper). It is situational as you spoke of, but Auto-Attack harassment or basic nuke harassment (instant nukes like pyro wave or soulstealer demon hands - not DoT's) can not really be stopped by shield. Max Caut, eat a tango, and you will negate their entire nuke for 30 Gold (also remember that mana battery / power supply - thats 12hp/15mana or 15/15 every time the opponent does something - really its the most crucial item on him).

LoA was a weak pick in DotA until DoP !solo'd! him mid against Zues (MYM Maelk or Merlini I wanna say but I do not remember the game fully) - they did it because the patch just updated and added Magic Stick to the game... the longer you live, and the more the enemy spams spells, the more useful the item is... and who has the arguably the best livability in the game???? You Guessed It!!!!! Accursed benefits more from magic stick due to his low mana costing spells and his ability to sit there and obtain 15 charges EZ with his ult/shield, which is why he went from a low-tier pick to a relatively FP/Ban so fast in DotA (and now a FP/Ban in HoN).
- Nevertheless I trailed off my point... you stated he is a bad solo and although the math on that is correct, and you would rather see him babysitting someone via heals + negation of damage, I would have to mention that he is not a bad solo. DoP did it all the time back in 6.57/6.59 (iirc), and it works so well for tower dive ganks. If you are running a melee carry, with a ranged babysitter, and you want accursed in there, let him solo because it gives you a solid ganking lane elsewhere (i.e. Pyro/Mag). If you don't solo him, you are running a Ranged Nuker with Heals?????? Not the greatest lane IMO but ofc this is all situational.

Also, never shield yourself if your ultimate is up... keep your carry alive, let your ult go off, then worry about who needs the shield the most.

TL:DR - You forgot to mention mana battery / power supply on him is the most crucial item EVER
- He's not a bad solo if you run melee carry + babysit and you still want another heal while having an aggressive lane
- Highly underrated tower diving hero

+
# 13AngryHan Mar 4 2010, 18:44 PM
Can't believe I missed no wand on him ;o

+
# 1412azor Mar 5 2010, 01:14 AM
Starting with ring or trinket is such a poor spend of gold in terms of effectiveness.

Clan: EPIC

+
# 15cbL Mar 5 2010, 01:19 AM
great guide but no usefull..build your own gameplay xd

+
# 16X-Flame Mar 5 2010, 11:43 AM
Will add Mana Battery to the item list.

QUOTE(12azor @ Mar 5 2010, 02:14 AM) *

Starting with ring or trinket is such a poor spend of gold in terms of effectiveness.

From my experience they both work rather well (I prefer the trinket start, Simba recommended the quick RotT build) in pubs.

It's hard to write a guide that focuses on the generic pub player, the guy that's new to HoN and the competitive scene. Not even including EM players (in which case I'd say fuck all supportive items, rush a Mock and get a shitload of DPS+armor). So I went with what works decently. They may not be perfect, but both builds sure work.

+
# 17AngryHan Mar 5 2010, 16:21 PM
This guide is fine for a first timer, or someone with really no clue for what to build, and that's fine because it's what guides are for. You can't write a failsafe "correct" guide for a hero, because with experience you'll know what skills and items to get as dictated by game conditions.

This post has been edited by totZi: Mar 5 2010, 16:21 PM

+
# 1812azor Mar 5 2010, 17:37 PM
QUOTE(X-Flame @ Mar 5 2010, 12:43 PM) *

Will add Mana Battery to the item list.
From my experience they both work rather well (I prefer the trinket start, Simba recommended the quick RotT build) in pubs.

It's hard to write a guide that focuses on the generic pub player, the guy that's new to HoN and the competitive scene. Not even including EM players (in which case I'd say fuck all supportive items, rush a Mock and get a shitload of DPS+armor). So I went with what works decently. They may not be perfect, but both builds sure work.

Well your experience is wrong. Statistically they're both terrible wastes of gold in the early-game.

Clan: EPIC

+
# 19X-Flame Mar 6 2010, 00:04 AM
Then how about you add actually something useful to this discussion and recommend what you use?

+
# 20AngryHan Mar 6 2010, 11:33 AM
More mana/hpots over trinket/ring. Like you said, he doesn't need stats, so you might as well keep your regen up so you can be a more effective supporter. It's far more efficient than going naked trinket/ring.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)