Explore GameReplays...

StarCraft 2

Final Mission

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Flopjack Jul 30 2010, 10:03 AM
No spoilers here at first glance, but if you click the buttons it will reveal stuff.

OK, so I've been able to play through on Hard with little difficulty until I reached this bad boy. I probably restarted 2 or 3 times total in the entire single player but I cannot beat this mission for the life of me. I can make it to about the half way point but once those Overlords come, it's just like the right cue for my bunkers to start falling apart, infantry blobs start choking... etc... works like clock work.

What did you do to get past this mission? (Note if you played it on a lower difficulty than hard because I assume it's quite harder on hard.)

How often do you use the
Spoiler
Xel'Naga artifact?
Is there some sort of pattern you found works nice? How do you do your timings with [it]?

Anything about
Spoiler
Kerrigan
I should know in terms of besting [it] with ease?

Please respond considering those who don't want the story ruined. smile.gif

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Morphidia Jul 30 2010, 15:10 PM
So far I did it on normal not hard but working on it though. In normal, I used it once but its probably best saved for the overlords since I assume that it should be able to stop that too.

Spoiler
I used 4-5 battle cruisers with yamato cannons for kerrigan tho

+
# 3JimRaynor Jul 30 2010, 16:38 PM
Spoiler
i selected the generals anti air prep mission which cleared the skies of Mutas and Broodlords then i used the ledges that were all over the place to strategically position my uber upgraded siege tanks... the tanks were supported by uber upgraded bunkers that were filled with either Marines, "Warpigs" and Marauders .... it was tough to finish on hard.

the "splash damage doesnt hurt ur own units" Siege Tank upgrade was key IMO

This post has been edited by JimRaynor: Jul 30 2010, 16:42 PM

+
# 4Elegy Jul 30 2010, 18:21 PM
Spoiler
On Brutal, the only way to win this mission is to turtle hard with the upgraded siege tanks + 8-9 3/3 BCs to deal with Kerrigan + a pack of banshees to hunt the Nydus worms (most important part). u have to kill the nydus otherwise the mission just isnt winnable. also u lose 1-3 BC everytime Kerrigan spawns, so thats kinda gay. Use the artifact on the overlord wave + whenever they start breaching

Clan: EPIC

Game: None

+
# 5Flopjack Jul 30 2010, 23:25 PM
Dang OK. I took my upgrades through heavy infantry the whole game. I don't think I have a lot of upgrades for tanks/vehicles. Is there a way to earn more credits to work on my army's weaknesses?

I think I'm going to make a line of Firebats and Siege tanks backed with Medics and SCVs and see how that works. (on either side)

+
# 6JimRaynor Jul 31 2010, 02:53 AM
QUOTE(Flopjack @ Jul 30 2010, 19:25 PM) *

Dang OK. I took my upgrades through heavy infantry the whole game. I don't think I have a lot of upgrades for tanks/vehicles. Is there a way to earn more credits to work on my army's weaknesses?

I think I'm going to make a line of Firebats and Siege tanks backed with Medics and SCVs and see how that works. (on either side)

Spoiler
i basically siege tanked my way through the last 6 missions

This post has been edited by JimRaynor: Jul 31 2010, 02:53 AM

+
# 7ThePhilospher Jul 31 2010, 03:20 AM
i basically siege tanked my way through the last 6 missions

I siege tanked my way through all missions except 2 in which they were available.

+
# 8Flopjack Jul 31 2010, 10:31 AM
I got it finally.

+
# 9Vesuvius Jul 31 2010, 20:53 PM
Spoiler
I've been trying to beat it on brutal(my record so far is about 80% done post-13661-1143531603.gif). 3-4 thors with heavy usage of their 330 mm cannons will keep kerrigan stunned until she goes down. The trick is getting the first shot to hit her before she kills a bunch of shit.

I'm sure a simple thor/siege tank mix would win it on hard. Unfortunately it gets totally overwhelmed on brutal(even at 150+ supply).

Edit: Just tried it on hard, it works

EDIT2: Just did the thor/siege tank spam again on brutal(with my siege tank upgrades fixed, I didn't have them upgraded via the hyperion before). It's definitely the way to go. Thors are very very efficient at taking down Kerrigan.

This post has been edited by Vesuvius: Aug 1 2010, 07:01 AM

+
# 10Forerunner Aug 1 2010, 01:44 AM
Spoiler
Bunker spam. So many bunkers it wasn't even funny. post-13661-1143531603.gif

Game: Dota 2

+
# 11Despotic Aug 3 2010, 13:23 PM
Spoiler
Because I often end up doing things the retarded way: Beat it on Brutal using most Perdition Turrets, bunkers, and banshees. Lol. 4 siege tank mercs and about 4 reg on hill, moving back and forth defending the sides while 3 control groups of banshees took out the nydus all while hydra dodging. Then, at 90%, I pulled everything, including scvs, up to the hill with the artifact and used it at 95%. Was easy, which made me sort of unhappy.

Srsly tho, Perdition Turrets, yeah, they fucking do crazy damage and are invis when they cant atk anything.

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 12Elegy Aug 3 2010, 17:01 PM
merc tanks are ridiculously imbalanced with the upgrades u buy from the armory

use those + banshee spam to kill nydus and its gg

also i got those zerg mind control towers so i kept on stealing all the ultras that the AI sends at u, they're really nice to tank damage in front of the bunker walls ^^

Clan: EPIC

Game: None

+
# 13Celebrimor Aug 4 2010, 02:02 AM
The last mission gets trivial if you remove worms instead of air and builds a ton of mind control towers to take over all of their air units. I had like 200 pop of zerg air units by the end of the mission, kerrigan is trivial if you use ~10 broodlords on her.

Edit: Also build planetary fortresses all over your base early, they work as a great buffer allowing you to focus on more important things than keeping your base free from annoying zerglings.

This post has been edited by Celebrimor: Aug 4 2010, 02:04 AM

+
# 14Flopjack Aug 4 2010, 07:33 AM
^On what difficulty?

+
# 15Celebrimor Aug 5 2010, 14:32 PM
QUOTE(Flopjack @ Aug 4 2010, 09:33 AM) *

^On what difficulty?

On brutal
Attached Image

+
# 16Flopjack Aug 5 2010, 19:59 PM
Well done, sir.

+
# 17Vesuvius Aug 5 2010, 21:02 PM
Well that puts my siege tank turtle to shame. If I ever bother doing a second playthrough, I may try that. I like the nydus removal mission more anyways.

+
# 18ThePhilospher Aug 14 2010, 19:43 PM
I just played through the Campaign again, and if you get Hive Mind Emulator(the Zerg mind control tower), taking out Nydus is the way to go.
Just build your Emulators ahead of your bunkers/missle turrets, get 4-5 Thors and 4-6 additional siege tanks/merc siege tanks and keep pumping upgrades and battlecruisers until 200/200. Mind control any broodlords that get in range, do the same to the corruptors(just morph them to broodlords). The broodlords synergies amazingly with siege tanks for the Zerg forces will stop to engage the broodling while being pounded by Tanks, Yamato Kerrigan with all your cruisers, use Thor's 330m siege cannon too.

The upside is that Thors wtfpwn any amount of mutas, you get to mind control all the broodlords and don't have to deal with nydrus popping up everywhere and incoming Ultralisks.

This post has been edited by ThePhilospher: Aug 14 2010, 19:43 PM

+
# 19Lord Honk Aug 17 2010, 13:47 PM
When I mindcontrolled some Ultralisks I noticed that medics and medevacs can heal them, so I had them tanking infront of my tanks with hold position and have them healed by medics from inbetween the tanks. Worked fairly decently, and one to two medics per choke don't really make an impact on your army composition.
Just a hint for you who like the mind controll thingy biggrin.gif

+
# 20ThePhilospher Aug 17 2010, 14:55 PM
If you mind control broodlords or other zerg flyers, they can only be healed by medivacs(not medics), the medics does heal broodlings(lolzor).

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)