Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

what to do against a goblin rush?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1rohirim charge Aug 16 2010, 22:10 PM
Hi guys! im one of the few people in this forum who plays on x box live still, i been able to incorporate some of your strategies to my games on x box live , i know that the patch im playing on is the 1.4 if im correct but im posting here since it seems like im the only one on the 360 forum ( but im trying to bring it back to life), i just want to hear some opinions or strategies on what to do against an early goblin rush on the 1.4 patch , as we all know goblins are faster than most MOTW ( not including cavalry ofcourse) and they are dirt cheap and that can be a problem !! , i been in trouble a couple of times trying to defend from an early goblin spam with SOG .
i usually start like this : RC, tree , brax ,SOG ,tree , SOG , SOG , tree sog spam , tree and then i go for archery range .
i allways send my very first batallion of SOG deep in to enemy field to creep and then to try to do some harrastment with RC and at least take a cave or 2 down , usually by this time i have the goblins allready in my field harrasing my biuldings too , wich is ok at the begining since im going SOG spam, i usually take down the first waves while im expanding too and if my first batallion of SOG is still alive i keep them a lil busy for a bit but once they keep coming from the flanks and center it becomes a problem since SOG are slower , i have tryed to go for stables but since i have to keep the flow of SOG to keep the goblins back and off my resources especially when they get poison blades , i get overwelmed really fast , and since Gondor archers suck i dont even bother with them untill i get rangers . i find it kind of hard to get early horses and i go for theoden instead .

and since im loosing time chasing goblins with SOG next thing you know the half trolls come in and they are even faster than goblins , im allways put in the situation of having to play defence with goblins specially against good players . hopefully you guys can help .

and please dont ask me for a replay theres no such thing for the 360.

This post has been edited by rohirim charge: Aug 18 2010, 15:05 PM

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 2^NeXuS^ Aug 23 2010, 03:02 AM
One thing i like to remember is that im fine with my opponent harassing me if i can return him the favor. You must keep spamming him as much as you can. You can do this with using a different build order. You could try a double rax build order like farm-farm-rax-rax-SOG SPAM. Depending on what map you are playing creeps are prob not the best choice vs goblins. (as a start)If its fords of isen, get around 4 sog from your raxes and then slip a tower guard in to creep, but don't creep first thing... it's kinda risky, and it doesnt help defend against gob rush.

If you don't like that you could try going farm-farm-rax-range and get a good mix of units. The only problem is that your harrasing won't be as good as a dual rax bo. After your creep go straight for stables/theo which will decimate the goblin rush. But most importantly, early game put as much pressure on him as possible, creep, and get cav to defend against gobs and possibly harass.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 3rohirim charge Aug 25 2010, 04:35 AM
QUOTE(^NeXuS^ @ Aug 22 2010, 19:02 PM) *

One thing i like to remember is that im fine with my opponent harassing me if i can return him the favor. You must keep spamming him as much as you can. You can do this with using a different build order. You could try a double rax build order like farm-farm-rax-rax-SOG SPAM. Depending on what map you are playing creeps are prob not the best choice vs goblins. (as a start)If its fords of isen, get around 4 sog from your raxes and then slip a tower guard in to creep, but don't creep first thing... it's kinda risky, and it doesnt help defend against gob rush.

If you don't like that you could try going farm-farm-rax-range and get a good mix of units. The only problem is that your harrasing won't be as good as a dual rax bo. After your creep go straight for stables/theo which will decimate the goblin rush. But most importantly, early game put as much pressure on him as possible, creep, and get cav to defend against gobs and possibly harass.

and what about the half trolls and spider riders? the half trols completly own my pikes and SOG and once the spider riders arrive if i dont have rangers with fire arrows no mater if i have cavalry once they switch to bows they seem to kill everything !! i usually destroy the spider pit before they can get the spider riders with knights but that usually hapens during a game where im dominating .

+
# 4Turbo` Aug 25 2010, 05:22 AM
i dont know how u can have problems earlygame vs goblins lol
SoG in def stance completely owns them and he has a much harder time to defend vs ur soldiers harassing.... as 2nd u should creep and then get boromir. Dont get theo+riders. Get a 2nd rax or fast rangers instead. Most ppl will get a fissure next and Boromir+tgs+some soldiers (later rangers) are the perfect counter to trolls+goblinwarriors.. when hes building a spiderpit u should just invest in rohirrim OR eomer if ur cashfloating near to 2k at that moment.

+
# 5Crabby Lobster Aug 25 2010, 05:26 AM
Cave Trolls have potential to own Men pretty good early game. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to stop a TG/SoG attack on your Fissure, if you're spending a lot of res on trolls. Ofc, if he's using his pikes to do that, you can just backdoor his fort with a couple trolls.

Game: League of Legends

+
# 6Turbo` Aug 25 2010, 12:45 PM
the only situation for motw which is rlly hard in this matchup is when the goblinplayer has like 2-4 trolls and his wildmenspell ready

+
# 7rohirim charge Aug 25 2010, 13:52 PM
QUOTE(Airsupreme @ Aug 24 2010, 21:22 PM) *

i dont know how u can have problems earlygame vs goblins lol
SoG in def stance completely owns them and he has a much harder time to defend vs ur soldiers harassing.... as 2nd u should creep and then get boromir. Dont get theo+riders. Get a 2nd rax or fast rangers instead. Most ppl will get a fissure next and Boromir+tgs+some soldiers (later rangers) are the perfect counter to trolls+goblinwarriors.. when hes building a spiderpit u should just invest in rohirrim OR eomer if ur cashfloating near to 2k at that moment.

i get in trouble on early game because a good goblin player will mix up his army , and since in spaming SOG 2 goblin archers mixed with spiderlings + a bunch of meat shield + poison blades can give you problems early game + like i said goblins are way faster than SOG and the gondor archers suck i get them sometimes to counter the archers but most of the times they get owned , yeah boromir + horn works great but you can only have boromir on one area of the map , and like i said the players i been match up against attack from all the flanks on small maps it may not be that much of a problem but on medium size maps like the black gate where i play most of the time , i have to be allways on the look against a forward cave rush.

+
# 8rohirim charge Aug 25 2010, 13:57 PM
QUOTE(Airsupreme @ Aug 25 2010, 04:45 AM) *

the only situation for motw which is rlly hard in this matchup is when the goblinplayer has like 2-4 trolls and his wildmenspell ready

remember its the 1.4 poison blades do a crazy amount of damage + tainted land counters RC + theres no elven wood PP .

+
# 9^NeXuS^ Aug 26 2010, 14:43 PM
God damnit goblins arent invincible. Correction* it is better choice to go for a range for rangers instead of a stables. Most goblin players will go tunnel-tunnel-cave-tunnel-fissure or tunnel-tunnel-cave-tunnel-cave-tunnel-fissure. Or something close to that. So backing up your troops with rangers should help counter that bo and rape goblins and trolls. But srsly, sog harrasment should be an overkill for goblins. Or atleast just as devastating as his rush. Also when your defending against goblins, posistion your sog inbetween his gob warrior and resource building to stop him from clumping. W8 do you even clump on xbob?

Anyways... if he went spider pit instead of a fissure THEN get cav and theo.
Hope this helped a bit.

+
# 10rohirim charge Aug 27 2010, 02:33 AM
QUOTE(^NeXuS^ @ Aug 26 2010, 06:43 AM) *

God damnit goblins arent invincible. Correction* it is better choice to go for a range for rangers instead of a stables. Most goblin players will go tunnel-tunnel-cave-tunnel-fissure or tunnel-tunnel-cave-tunnel-cave-tunnel-fissure. Or something close to that. So backing up your troops with rangers should help counter that bo and rape goblins and trolls. But srsly, sog harrasment should be an overkill for goblins. Or atleast just as devastating as his rush. Also when your defending against goblins, posistion your sog inbetween his gob warrior and resource building to stop him from clumping. W8 do you even clump on xbob?

Anyways... if he went spider pit instead of a fissure THEN get cav and theo.
Hope this helped a bit.

yeah theres clumping on the x box , i had a game today against a goblin player and i went with sog spam and early rangers and it worked prety well , i had to get rangers before i got any heroes , i was harrasing with sog at first and countering his waves of goblins and spiderlings , then i went fot theoden and rohirim , it was a really good and close game , he went for the dragon king and it was owning my rohirim i eventually got a good ofence going and got fire arrows and that was the end of the dragon king , so yeah nexus thanxs for the advise i will stick with early rangers when playing against goblins , what do you think about getting the market place before getting upgrades? i know some people think is a waste of money but it allways works for me specially on those games that go past the 30 min. lol

+
# 11^NeXuS^ Aug 31 2010, 01:14 AM
QUOTE(rohirim charge @ Aug 26 2010, 18:33 PM) *

yeah theres clumping on the x box , i had a game today against a goblin player and i went with sog spam and early rangers and it worked prety well , i had to get rangers before i got any heroes , i was harrasing with sog at first and countering his waves of goblins and spiderlings , then i went fot theoden and rohirim , it was a really good and close game , he went for the dragon king and it was owning my rohirim i eventually got a good ofence going and got fire arrows and that was the end of the dragon king , so yeah nexus thanxs for the advise i will stick with early rangers when playing against goblins , what do you think about getting the market place before getting upgrades? i know some people think is a waste of money but it allways works for me specially on those games that go past the 30 min. lol

Yo sorry ive been out of town. The marketplace is not something to ask me about for i am very inexperienced with it. Id like to say that i would probably only get it if i had a feeling that the game was going to last long... and if i was cashfloating. Otherwise upgrades/heros>marketplace i think.

dont rely on this too much though, i rarely use the marketplace.

+
# 12Amfilohije Oct 28 2010, 22:38 PM
That's easy...Make Faramir, archery range as the first military building, than stable, than you make gondor knights,than one unit of gondor archers, than upgrade archery range,than rangers spam...

Faramir can kill spiderlings/goblin soldier easily, gondor knights+faramir can deal with spider riders, and rangers with longshots own half trolls...

+
# 13Turbo` Oct 29 2010, 13:34 PM
faramir is useless vs goblins and archery range as first PB is just a bad a joke ..

+
# 14Maru Nov 1 2010, 06:21 AM
Epic bump

Clan: New Generation

+
# 15Turbo` Nov 1 2010, 16:45 PM
QUOTE(TheGenera1' @ Nov 1 2010, 07:21 AM) *

Epic bump

+
# 16alex1994 Nov 4 2010, 15:02 PM
when i face off goblins i do this:farm-rax-farm-sog-range....the only thing y have to do is to create 2 {how many y want}teams with 2 sog-1tower guard and 2 gondor archers...protect your farms until y have horses with theoden..then harass your opponent...{for better results have boromir and blow the horn of gondor}

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 17rohirim charge Nov 4 2010, 22:42 PM
QUOTE(Amfilohije @ Oct 28 2010, 14:38 PM) *

That's easy...Make Faramir, archery range as the first military building, than stable, than you make gondor knights,than one unit of gondor archers, than upgrade archery range,than rangers spam...

Faramir can kill spiderlings/goblin soldier easily, gondor knights+faramir can deal with spider riders, and rangers with longshots own half trolls...

i have seen that strat being used against me on mirror matches MOW vs MOW i went for SOG spam to harras then went for quick cavalry GONDOR KNIGTHS then rohirims my oponent went ranger spam and believe it or not they were just owning my knights and then my first batallions of rohirims , i remember he had faramir with the archers and i was like .... im going to rape his archers with my rohirims and next thing you know my rohirims were owned so i had to go for more harrasing and i eventually destroyed the archery range , i was surprised because i allmost lost to that strat and cavalry is suposed to own archers it caughted me off guard because nobody uses it .

+
# 18rohirim charge Nov 4 2010, 22:50 PM
QUOTE(Airsupreme @ Oct 29 2010, 05:34 AM) *

faramir is useless vs goblins and archery range as first PB is just a bad a joke ..

i thought that faramir gives archers leadership and makes them gain experience fast on 1.4 ? am i wrong? i know that you allways have to have a mixed army and that there are better early heroes than faramir but dont you think it may work if you keep him behind with your archers protected by SOG and TG ?

+
# 19Turbo` Nov 5 2010, 16:50 PM
first of all we play on patch 1.06 and not 1.04^^
and faramir is useless. he gets his ld with lvl 6 and it takes forever to reach this lvl with him.. + hes not an earlygame hero. hes 2k, but still worse than theoden/boromir. hes just crap on 1.06

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)