Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

TotW: Hasty Ents Discussion

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1angelsfan Sep 15 2010, 20:55 PM
Discuss angelsfan's latest tip of the week, Hasty Ents, here.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 2Puddleglum Sep 16 2010, 02:24 AM
Now that's fascinatiing!! Floating Ents lol

One thing I've found interesting in LOTR is how Ents, slow and methodical tho they be, can actually move quite fast when they have a mind. They don't even need to be aroused.

Treebeard carried Merry & Pippin a good 80 miles +/- in a part of a day (from his "hill" to Wellinghall) - even the Three Hunters only managed about 36 miles in a day's march. Treebeard's normal walking speed seems to have been comparable to (or at least close to) what a horseman could manage over a similar span (comparing to the time it took Gandy, Ara, Lego & Gimli to travel to Edoras).

Of course, giving Ents that speed in the game would make them WAYYY OP.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 3angelsfan Sep 16 2010, 02:29 AM
Well, when one of Treebeard's paces can cover a good 20+ ft (6m), you can cover ground pretty quickly, even if you take slow steps.

+
# 4Puddleglum Sep 17 2010, 05:31 AM
QUOTE(angelsfan @ Sep 15 2010, 18:29 PM) *

Well, when one of Treebeard's paces can cover a good 20+ ft (6m), you can cover ground pretty quickly, even if you take slow steps.

Yes. And one of Tolkien's other descriptions of Ents speed goes
They came swiftly from the North, walking like wading herons in their gait, but not in their speed; for their legs in their long paces beat quicker than the heron's wings.

I'm not really up on exactly how fast a heron's wings beat, but the impression in context is fairly quickly. Even if it's only two beats/paces a second, they're still moving at close to 30 miles/hr - and it could be faster.

In BFME2 context, they would then be faster than anything except fliers and, possibly, cavalry. Imagine quick Ents that go tearing around the map, outrunning (or trampling) archers, tearing down resource buildings with one or two blows and moving on before the defenders can cover. They'd be better harrasers that Glory!! banana.gif

Oh well, as an Elves fan I can dream biggrin.gif

+
# 5Puddleglum Oct 6 2010, 22:17 PM
I wonder, can the Ent be personally attacked while he is "hovering" around (before the 20 sec animation time has expired)?

Related question, if you *don't* delete the moot (ie, don't use this tip) and an enemy is standing around, can that enemy be attacking a spawning ent (rather than the moot) while the ent's spawn animation is running?

+
# 6angelsfan Oct 6 2010, 23:25 PM
I would assume so.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)