Explore GameReplays...

Hardware

nVidia launches new flagship GTX 590

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Lencias Mar 25 2011, 07:21 AM
nVidia has launched its new flagship card, the GeForce GTX 590, a dual-GPU, single-PCB solution featuring over 1,000 stream processors (1,024 to be precise), 3GB of GDDR5 memory, and 32 tessellation shaders - all of which is intended to be the direct competitor to AMD's similar dual-GPU Radeon HD 6990 card.

One of the biggest claimed draws of the GTX 590 is its lower power consumption and reduced noise level compared to the HD 6990. According to reviews, these goals have been successfully achieved, with the GTX 590 being incredibly quiet for a dual-GPU solution and consuming slightly less power than an unlocked HD 6990 under average usage. However, there is a price to be paid for this benefit - the GTX 590 loses out to the HD 6990 in all modern benchmarks, meaning both gameplay-based and synthetic ones. Still, this is a moot point as both of cards can run the latest games at the highest settings in ways no other cards can. Two GTX 590s can also be paired together for Quad SLI configuration for those who (for whatever reason) find the performance level provided by a single GTX 590 to be unsatisfactory.

The GeForce GTX 590 retails for $699.99 and is available for purchase now.
[via The Inq and Guru3D]

EDIT: The information in this post was based on the single review referred to above. I have become aware that different sites are reporting higher power draws and higher performance in some cases - the only excuse I can provide is that different hardware setups and games provide different performance. However, regardless, I give you my apologies for this rather under-informed post, I promise to do further research before putting up future newsposts. Thank you.

This post has been edited by InsolenceAndHeresy: Mar 25 2011, 10:35 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Game: Call of Duty 4

+
# 2ScottNL Mar 25 2011, 08:33 AM
I am still running on the 4870x2 water cooled and still play at best performance on all games.
Donīt think you can make a bad choices for buying either of the cards. But overall 590 has slightly better stats when it comes to games that use wider range of directx 11 tools.

Here are 2 links comparing the 2 cards for the community members that want a bit more depth.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforc...-6990,2898.html

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1140...troduction.html

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3FFF Mar 25 2011, 19:46 PM
OMG, i can image power consumption compared to GTX 580 already -.-

This card is not worth is, + such a high price makes it absolutely not attractive -.-

Game: Red Alert 3

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)