16.67% (2)
No

Total Votes: 12
Guests cannot vote 
Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1stormgear Jul 20 2011, 21:36 PM
Discuss.

Oddly enough, as far as I remember they seem to "disappear" when I dunno:

- Spanner spammer hits t3, as they gradually switch to kodiaks which is sometimes due to (see below)
- when nod hits t3

Any good counters against them? Flame Columns seem to do a good job mass inflicting them imo.

(gtg, will add try to moar flavor text up here later or anyone feel free to tell your vs spanner spam experiences and how you dealt with them)

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 2zebrastripes Jul 21 2011, 02:36 AM
spanner spam is extremeeeely irritating! they may disappear once either teams hit t3 but some gdi players add paladins to make a lovely mix where stealth tanks are useless too post-13661-1143531603.gif

the only counter to this i find reliable are high confessors and nuke (but the gdi player has to be not looking or very slow if they die to a nuke..)

+
# 3ZodiacHeadlock Jul 21 2011, 18:27 PM
All I can say is do not underestimate the Raider at T3. Killing the damn spanners isn't always necessary, but GDI players seem to try to keep them alive over their attacking units. I use raiders to at least chase away the spanners, so the enemy tries to kill the raiders and die to the rest of Nod's attacking units. It works a lot of the time for me, having 4 to 6 buggies in a T3 50CP army.

This post has been edited by ZodiacHeadlock: Jul 21 2011, 18:28 PM

+
# 4Mr. Commander Jul 26 2011, 22:10 PM
QUOTE(zebrastripes @ Jul 20 2011, 20:36 PM) *

spanner spam is extremeeeely irritating! they may disappear once either teams hit t3 but some gdi players add paladins to make a lovely mix where stealth tanks are useless too post-13661-1143531603.gif

the only counter to this i find reliable are high confessors and nuke (but the gdi player has to be not looking or very slow if they die to a nuke..)

If (s)he is going for a large amount of spanners(3+) than you might want to keep a large amount of gun units(6+(raiders, devouts, or maradurs)). The raider retains usefullness even in t3. Look at how piep uses his raiders.

+
# 5quincunx Jul 30 2011, 11:30 AM
QUOTE(ZodiacHeadlock @ Jul 21 2011, 20:27 PM) *

All I can say is do not underestimate the Raider at T3. Killing the damn spanners isn't always necessary, but GDI players seem to try to keep them alive over their attacking units. I use raiders to at least chase away the spanners, so the enemy tries to kill the raiders and die to the rest of Nod's attacking units. It works a lot of the time for me, having 4 to 6 buggies in a T3 50CP army.

+1

Couldn't say it better.

+
# 6quincunx Apr 14 2012, 10:13 AM
Spanners are like flying candies for High Confessors.

+
# 7Incia Apr 14 2012, 14:33 PM
And Basilisks... that tiny 120hp? Or whatever, even when Heroic die to most big guns very rapidly. MoK on Basilisks or High Confessors and all GDI armies are dead.

Game: CNC Tiberian Dawn Remastered

+
# 8Yukkuri Apr 14 2012, 18:57 PM
Spanners are light units, so they're more resistant to Basilisk lasers than most other units. Basilisk spam *can* quickly kill an entire spanner spam if you catch them offguard, but only if. Remember that spanners will always be behind whatever they're healing, so it's difficult to get into a position to shoot them without being seen. Basilisks aren't very good at killing spanners if they have veterancy from Battle Hardening, though. A full CP of elite (or heroic) spanners is virtually unkillable.

Confessors can kill Spanners quickly, but they're slow and have short range, and are vulnerable to Kodiaks.

IMO Raiders and Marauders are the best units for killing Spanners (they're usually what kills mine), if you don't mind losing a lot of them due to the ubiquitousness of Hunters and stuff. And even then, it'll be difficult to kill an entire spam of them.

(Nukes are good too, if you can drop one on them, but I haven't had my spanners get hit by a nuke in months)

+
# 9Incia Apr 14 2012, 20:14 PM
I love how you talk down to everyone by trying to sound so superior. You are starting to sound like Lobber.

Spanners are light units? Thanks for information, I did not know.

Everything I just wrote before you stand corrected, Basilisk with MoK will rape heroic Spanners and there's a couple Replays proving that. Doesn't matter if it's laser, bullets or blast weapon, MoK on virtually any unit that can attack air will kill a 120HP unit faster then GDI can react.

And about nukes, you could stasis field a horde of spanners and time a nuke to one hit kill them all.

+
# 10Seargant Apr 14 2012, 21:44 PM
I kinda agree with Yukkuri here. Spanners are way faster than basalisks and with good reaction time one can always remove MoK. Marauders are usually the best way imo.

One thing though, nukes can be successful if cast in the middle of an intense battle, when the beacon goes unnoticed.

This post has been edited by Seargant: Apr 14 2012, 21:52 PM

+
# 11Incia Apr 14 2012, 21:50 PM
Never ever seen in 2 years that someone used a MoK on marauders for hunting spanners but whatever.

And if this God of GDI now goes to the other side of the map with his Spanners then that's just better for Nod, now he can kill his Crawler and other units in peace. MoK would be a pretty waste on Marauders tbh.

This post has been edited by Incia: Apr 14 2012, 21:57 PM

+
# 12stormgear Apr 16 2012, 00:39 AM
QUOTE(Seargant @ Apr 15 2012, 05:44 AM) *

One thing though, nukes can be successful if cast in the middle of an intense battle, when the beacon goes unnoticed.

I don't think the Beacon is visible to the enemy imo, otherwise it would be really counterproductive if the game does that.

Sniping them off with Venoms seem to work, but that's one at a time though.

+
# 13ZodiacHeadlock Apr 16 2012, 09:49 AM
Support power and superweapon beacons are always visible to the enemy.

Upgraded Venoms probably are the most efficient spanner killers in the early/mid game. If only attack move was more useful in taking these things down though, then the venoms could shoot many of them at once. Problem is the units the spanners are healing are never far away...

+
# 14stormgear Apr 16 2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah they're visible, I thought he was referring to the Beacon signal Hotkey 'B'

+
# 15Sickname Jan 13 2014, 13:25 PM
like Seargant mentioned Marauder is the best counter unit

+
# 16KiR2RuN4FuN Nov 15 2016, 08:22 AM
QUOTE(Sickname @ Jan 13 2014, 16:25 PM) *

like Seargant mentioned Marauder is the best counter unit

Nah, raider is. Since it's as fast as spanner. They can easily escape marauders. Though both of these units are effective since both gun and tiberium-fuelled shells are good versus light armor.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)