Explore GameReplays...

Generals 2

Update on C&C Development and Beta

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Vivo Oct 29 2012, 17:18 PM
A moment ago EA_CIRE made a blog entry where he sheds some light on development of Command and Conquer Free2play and the game's upcoming beta.

I wanted to take a few minutes to share some insights with you guys and to give you an idea of what’s going on right now with the new Command & Conquer in development.

Our mission here at Victory Games isn’t as easy as it may appear. I remember the days when I worked on various fan projects and web sites. We had those debates about what the current C&C games suffer from and what needs to be changed. Being a fan, it felt easy to exactly point out the problems followed by “THE” solution for it all, making it the best C&C ever. In fact, we sent APOC (the former Community Manager on C&C) lots of feedback over all those years via mail and even big binders during summits – always including “THE” answers to all problems and beyond.

Now I am sitting with the development team myself and when I look back to the time being just a fan, it makes me smile a bit.

Making game relevant decisions isn’t that easy. Choosing one solution for a potential problem often affects so many other portions of the game – It’s just a big mess sometimes. The team here and I know that previous Command & Conquer titles had issues – some less, some more. C&C4 (yes, I just named it!) was especially far below the expectations and standards a lot of us had for C&C games. So we know how you guys feel – and I am talking a lot with our design team to discuss the game mechanics, features and meta-game of our new Command & Conquer in development.

We all have the big picture in our mind where we want to go with this new Command & Conquer, making a great RTS game that can wear the C&C logo with pride. Yes, the direction is new and many probably would say that this is not a “true” C&C, just as many did when the original Generals came out. For me, Command & Conquer isn’t just about Tiberium, Kane and the crazy Yuri. It’s been more about fun to play, engaging, and high quality RTS experiences. And that’s what we’re aiming to deliver, just in a different way.

So looking at where we are right now with our game and the ongoing service that comes with Free 2 Play games actually makes me believe that this game can become a great Command & Conquer. And we will be working together with you – The Fans - to make it better and better. As planned right now, the Beta will start in the first half of 2013, and will be the longest running beta phase in franchise history.

Now, we know you have a lot more questions about the new Command & Conquer and you may be wondering why we are so silent about it. We’ve decided to actually let the game speak for itself, instead of starting the typical marketing noise you normally would expect. That being said, it might be a few more months before we reveal more information – we don’t just want to tell you about the game, we want to show you.

I am looking forward to the future of the Command & Conquer franchise – finally! This new direction has a lot of potential and there are no boundaries or limits to what we can do together in the future in terms of content.

Also, a big thanks to all of you for your support over the last years. Looking forward to getting the game into your hands to try it out!

EA_CIRE

Source: Command and Conquer Blog

Clan: Brothers of War

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 2bike_rush_ownz Oct 29 2012, 17:45 PM
i Don't Know how i feel smile.gif about this

+
# 3Cloverfield Oct 29 2012, 17:48 PM
he basically said nothing, just marketing

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 4_elEctriCo- Oct 29 2012, 18:22 PM
He said it will be great. That's great. It's great to know.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 5dirac_constant Oct 29 2012, 18:56 PM
his job depends on telling us it will be great
he's not exactly an unbiased party

massive bombshells aside EA has released no information on how this actually plays.
no tech trees no war bears (for good or ill) no massive marketing push.
Given how many times they announced new "management" this means that EA execs are running scared trying to "innovate" themselves out of it
if they're scared there's no reason i shouldn't be too

+
# 6JCDoo7 Oct 29 2012, 20:28 PM
Despite all of this, I hope that one day we will nevertheless see the true successor to Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath pirate.gif

Game: None

+
# 7c9q9md Oct 29 2012, 20:44 PM
pls not be another cnc4

+
# 8dirac_constant Oct 29 2012, 21:30 PM
QUOTE(JCDoo7 @ Oct 29 2012, 20:28 PM) *

Despite all of this, I hope that one day we will nevertheless see the true successor to Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath pirate.gif

personally i'd think that will only come if they make SAGE open source
THAT would make me ecstatic

+
# 9Gameslayer989 Oct 29 2012, 22:10 PM
Something tells me this will end up being about 'points' like EoN, because that'll be the 'in' thing to do.

Clan: Team|Alias

Game: Dota 2

+
# 10Flopjack Oct 30 2012, 01:26 AM
I'm hoping I read into the first part correctly in that he means they aren't listening to noobs anymore in terms of game breaking changes. Second half scares me with mentioning of their new model. The model doesn't scare me by itself, it's the fact that it's coupled with EA's history.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 11dirac_constant Oct 30 2012, 02:05 AM
"So looking at where we are right now with our game and the ongoing service that comes with Free 2 Play games actually makes me believe that this game can become a great Command & Conquer."

long term support is great if it happens

that reminds me has tiberium alliances been patched yet?

+
# 12alexcnc89 Oct 30 2012, 06:28 AM
I'd really rather have this title named anything other than C&C.

This.

"Command & Conquer isn’t just about Tiberium, Kane and the crazy Yuri. It’s been more about fun to play, engaging, and high quality RTS experiences. And that’s what we’re aiming to deliver, just in a different way."

The catalyst of why Tiberium Series is attracting is due to 2 objects:
1) Kane, Cain, prophecy, ancension stuff
2) Tiberium, then aliens.

We'll wait. Free anyway. Hope it's not pay to win.

+
# 13-LikeMike- Oct 30 2012, 06:35 AM
I just got excited when he said Beta
Which means they want to take it somewhat seriously

Game: Generals 2

+
# 14kindDragon Oct 30 2012, 10:55 AM
Yeah, its great that they have a long beta in mind, this means that they are willing to receive some feedback of the fans to make the game better to who matters: People who will play it.

Im particularly excited about this, because its the first C&C game that I will experience since the beginning!

I just hope it dont suck!

smile.gif

+
# 15cnc315d34d Oct 30 2012, 15:31 PM

The catalyst of why Tiberium Series is attracting is due to 2 objects:
1) Kane, Cain, prophecy, ancension stuff
2) Tiberium, then aliens.

thats what attracts people -specifically- to the tiberium series...

but he was talking about 'cnc' as a whole

+
# 16Cloverfield Oct 30 2012, 19:53 PM
QUOTE(Flopjack @ Oct 30 2012, 03:26 AM) *

I'm hoping I read into the first part correctly in that he means they aren't listening to noobs anymore in terms of game breaking changes. Second half scares me with mentioning of their new model. The model doesn't scare me by itself, it's the fact that it's coupled with EA's history.

they actually listened to 'pros' in tw and kw

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 17L3g3nd4ry Oct 30 2012, 22:01 PM
Wait, so he said CnC4 was bad? An official EA employee said the biggest piece of trash was bad?

He admitted it?

In a public forum too?

Well.

Thank you.

Command and Conquer, I have hope for you again. Thank you.

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 18twinArmageddons Nov 1 2012, 02:54 AM
not really a fan of C&C havent played any games but im always curious about free2play games because "FREE GAMES"

that being said if i was a C&C fan id be deeply scared of EA handling a F2P game of anything, throughout my journeys along the F2P realm the game with the WORST F2P model that ive played, which was straight up pay2win is Battlefield Heroes, one of the previous EA F2P spins on an existing franchise, i must tell you that game was absolutely badly designed and any sort of balance was thrown out of the window to favor paying players, it was simply awful

+
# 19TimFortres Nov 1 2012, 15:20 PM
Considering Enormouse Assholes are in charge I dont excpect anything major. But for some reason I got this feeling it will not be a complete let down.

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 20kustodian Nov 3 2012, 23:30 PM
QUOTE(Flopjack @ Oct 30 2012, 02:26 AM) *

This basically sums it up for me, besides that he didn't say anything about he game itself, or the status of the development.

I also like the idea of a long beta, but I also hope that they get good players into the game and not some "15 min no rush noobs".

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)