Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

Dimon's Mentoring Thread

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 21GBHmichael Jan 1 2017, 23:17 PM
QUOTE(B00M @ Jan 1 2017, 13:53 PM) *

Regarding fire Island, if you are on top position in SvA as Soviets and you get rax at the edge of your build radius left as first building, you can get the engi as first unit in the oil derrick before the vindicator (from fast AF build) can drop it's bomb.

This isn't correct. I tested it out with Chris to double check and the engineer got sniped. Here is the replay.

Attached File(s)
Attached File SvA___fast_engineer_on_FI.RA3Replay
Size: 117.18k
Number of downloads: 51
Player Name Side Team
[NaCl]GBH* 0
H2O||Chris 0

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 22Dimon0000000 Jan 2 2017, 16:14 PM
QUOTE(B00M @ Jan 2 2017, 06:45 AM) *

I have a question regarding dealing with the most sh*t unit ingame, the cryocopter.

Do you sometimes consider it usefull to mass flak troopers against it instead of bullfrogs, and at what point is it intresting to make MiG fighters against an enemy who uses them? I feel like bullfrogs have a hard time dealing with them often, but flak troopers their limited mobility makes it very easy to catch them with cryogedon.. .

And do you consider it better to attack or defend and tech/out-eco up against someone who uses several cryocopters?

All depends of situation smile.gif
For defend 2 refs you can use flaks. For more refs - help with turrets or migs if you wont use frogs. The main problem - flaks is slow, so for attack allies will use fast mobile units and get large advantage. Just make ripjavs or attack rips/cryos/vindicators in same time is very good vs it. On maps with freedom of moving like fi - absolute suicide. As you understand - flaks is very risky as main antiair. Theoretically on maps like ii there you have only 1 way for main attack, flaks+turrets+air can be pretty effective...but its hard to play so and anyway you will make WF just couse inf defence cant be effective vs anything. How to do with mass cryo... mass and mobil antiair. Ideally is migs/frogs/turrets combo. If you get it - you can spam refs and get money advantage. Kill his water refs, then waiting for his last attack and counter it. Main problem isnt cryos - this is ground army. Actually its easy to defend vs cryos, but cryos dont let you use tanks free. And there is some ways. 1th - spam more and more tanks for maximally fix shrink problem. 2th - infantry defence(on ii, bbb and some other maps is can work pretty well). Actually you just must be ready for counter any his attack in any moment. Look for his units. And...all this is true...if map isnt FI smile.gif On FI you must play maximally dangerous and have map control so only frogs/migs and other mobile units with dangerous tactics and best quality of game.

+
# 23Constable Chris Jan 2 2017, 18:42 PM
Just a heads up everyone. Dimon will be inactive for the next 4-5 days, so your questions will either have to wait, or you can still post them here, and await an answer from someone other than Dimon. smile.gif

Cheers.

Clan: H2O

+
# 24B00M Jan 2 2017, 21:05 PM
QUOTE(GBHmichael @ Jan 2 2017, 01:17 AM) *

This isn't correct. I tested it out with Chris to double check and the engineer got sniped. Here is the replay.

I've made it work tons of times, but perhaps there is a slight delay on the allied play in those instances ?
Usually the vindie bomb drops as the engi is about to enter.

Thanks for the reply Dimon smile.gif

This post has been edited by B00M: Jan 2 2017, 21:18 PM

Game: Blizzard

+
# 25Alvin_Tey Jan 4 2017, 07:35 AM
Dimon is good at mentoring. +1

+
# 26Zak.T Jan 4 2017, 13:46 PM
hi Dimon , you play with the stander hotkeys (if not plz share your setting)?

This post has been edited by Constable Chris: Jan 4 2017, 14:06 PM

+
# 27Constable Chris Jan 4 2017, 14:14 PM
Update: A new rule has been added to this thread. Please keep the questions regarding improving at the game, personal questions about Dimon are not allowed, since this is a mentoring thread. Thank you.

+
# 28{DO}-LiquidOCELOT Jan 4 2017, 15:57 PM
pls this is regarding how would you do as empire if soviet go this BO

crusher, pp + rax, ref + ref, super + 3rd ref, wf or docks, mcv crush air field, pls worth mentioning 4 migs to force out either tengus or locking empire at vx build only managing to get 3 ref and minimum map control with conscripts in middle i am talking specifically about cabana pls give advice to empire player, especially if later twins+ migs, frogs and like 8 twins 4 migs 4+ frogs, and classical hammer spam to snipe empire pls share especially on cabana fire

+
# 29Dimon0000000 Jan 6 2017, 09:21 AM
QUOTE(Zak.T @ Jan 4 2017, 23:46 PM) *

hi Dimon , you play with the stander hotkeys (if not plz share your setting)?

Yes, i find standart hotkeys system pretty effective.

+
# 30Dimon0000000 Jan 6 2017, 10:01 AM
QUOTE({DO}-LiquidOCELOT @ Jan 5 2017, 01:57 AM) *

pls this is regarding how would you do as empire if soviet go this BO

crusher, pp + rax, ref + ref, super + 3rd ref, wf or docks, mcv crush air field, pls worth mentioning 4 migs to force out either tengus or locking empire at vx build only managing to get 3 ref and minimum map control with conscripts in middle i am talking specifically about cabana pls give advice to empire player, especially if later twins+ migs, frogs and like 8 twins 4 migs 4+ frogs, and classical hammer spam to snipe empire pls share especially on cabana fire

Block his refplaces from start with dodjos/tengus anything you have, always look on his base for scout his tactic fast, it can be AF or WF with push or without. Anyway you must be maximally agressive and dangerous, use decent rush tactics. Use dodjos, inf rushes, fast tenguspam if you see AF, burst drones, anything you have, get both oils. If ill see crane start on ii for example, probably ill spam enouth IWs for block his rax and make dodjo with get his oil+dodjo for block refplace+maybe turret to his base, other dodjo move on water, then WF and tenguspam. Then just move water dodjo on his base + tbs spam from other dodjo + tengus vs bears. Number of different units depends of his choice(WF or AF). He can push = you just kill his base with tengu/tbs combo and even if he kill your refs and mecha - you still leave with tengus+tbs+mcv+2 oils vs his mcv only. If he use mcv for counter your rush - you always can run and use buildings for save infantry and dont leet him go from base. And you can expand or do anything you want after this.
I guess you hope to get magic way to easy win in any situation. Sry but you are not allies player^^ and for win you usually must play better than your opponent. Actually more important is not WHAT you doing, but HOW you doing. Fast and right control, using of any moments and units and rest.

+
# 31{DO}-LiquidOCELOT Jan 7 2017, 10:31 AM
QUOTE(Dimon0000000 @ Jan 6 2017, 10:01 AM) *

Block his refplaces from start with dodjos/tengus anything you have, always look on his base for scout his tactic fast, it can be AF or WF with push or without. Anyway you must be maximally agressive and dangerous, use decent rush tactics. Use dodjos, inf rushes, fast tenguspam if you see AF, burst drones, anything you have, get both oils. If ill see crane start on ii for example, probably ill spam enouth IWs for block his rax and make dodjo with get his oil+dodjo for block refplace+maybe turret to his base, other dodjo move on water, then WF and tenguspam. Then just move water dodjo on his base + tbs spam from other dodjo + tengus vs bears. Number of different units depends of his choice(WF or AF). He can push = you just kill his base with tengu/tbs combo and even if he kill your refs and mecha - you still leave with tengus+tbs+mcv+2 oils vs his mcv only. If he use mcv for counter your rush - you always can run and use buildings for save infantry and dont leet him go from base. And you can expand or do anything you want after this.
I guess you hope to get magic way to easy win in any situation. Sry but you are not allies player^^ and for win you usually must play better than your opponent. Actually more important is not WHAT you doing, but HOW you doing. Fast and right control, using of any moments and units and rest.

if you play with a cheese mind set vs quality players you gonna struggle alot, cause the difference btw good and pros is mid/ end game and that is where you get those twin/frog combos attacks on super reactor defence strategy by soviet player to defend base and then counter attack, pls give a comprehensive study as to what to go about if you play a more standard type of game like go vx + tengu combo with which protocols and also going shoguns good or wf tier 3 better with infantry, i have noticed shoguns are very good if you are 4 ref on cabana cause your fourth ref near your main base can be defended by a close by docks and sea wings please share, also could you give insights on how to deal with conscript + tesla trooper combo counter i cant counter this if done properly cheers

+
# 32Constable Chris Jan 7 2017, 13:59 PM
Ocelot , please keep your questions short and to the point , adding in too much detail will only add up to confusion and trouble understanding what your question is.

Clarify exactly what your last question(s) was/were .

+
# 33{DO}-LiquidOCELOT Jan 7 2017, 14:33 PM
QUOTE(Constable Chris @ Jan 7 2017, 13:59 PM) *

Ocelot , please keep your questions short and to the point , adding in too much detail will only add up to confusion and trouble understanding what your question is.

Clarify exactly what your last question(s) was/were .

just let him explain what i should have done this game below very good game
Attached File Last_Replay.RA3Replay
Size: 632.42k
Number of downloads: 55
Player Name Side Team
{DvT}-AntiDarWIN* 0
^RapeAlert^ 0

just played in ladder wars, pls tell me what i do to mig fighter phobia and also even when protecting so many units and getting mcv snipe for free i still loose which is expected 5 ref timing was good but played very poorly defensive wise pls all three posts including this one is synopsis of same question

How to play as empire vs soviets to its twin frog strat help or frog hammer

+
# 34Dimon0000000 Jan 8 2017, 06:19 AM
QUOTE({DO}-LiquidOCELOT @ Jan 8 2017, 00:33 AM) *

just let him explain what i should have done this game below very good game
Attached File Last_Replay.RA3Replay
Size: 632.42k
Number of downloads: 55
Player Name Side Team
{DvT}-AntiDarWIN* 0
^RapeAlert^ 0

just played in ladder wars, pls tell me what i do to mig fighter phobia and also even when protecting so many units and getting mcv snipe for free i still loose which is expected 5 ref timing was good but played very poorly defensive wise pls all three posts including this one is synopsis of same question

How to play as empire vs soviets to its twin frog strat help or frog hammer

Why you make new questions if you dont use my answers? If you will read my last answer and watch this game you understand what you had to do.
From start: 3 refs? no scouts? no dodjos? I did crane start and you could get oils free, get full control of map and game, block my refplace, then expand or do inf rush on my start position. But you did 3 refs without dodjo and lost all this abilities and let me do anything i want. Result - in moment i got 3 ref - i have SR, oil, full defence, scouts, you have 1 tengu, 3 refs, t1, no oils and dont see map. You already lost game.
I get 4th ref on water - you got oils with 2 dodjo and 2 sneak transports(???), have 3 vx and 1 tengu on your base(very effective using of units) in time i have only AF and naval without units. Tesla on main base, turret on 3th ref, just naval on water. Ofc decent player will use his units for attack my 3th ref or main ref with vx+tengu and make naval for attack my water, all this also give nice map control.
Got 5th ref - 6 vx stay on base(extremally effective using of units), still no naval, still 3 refs, but sneak transport going to get my SR(ofc ill let him to do it). I have 2 migs, 2 frogs on water.
Got oils, WF and start spam tanks. You have 8 tengus/6 vx on your base(expert level of using units) and spamming IWs(i guess vs tanks) Then you make 4th ref and use(OMG!) your units - easy kill my mcv. Then you easy attack my main base but lose much more units than you had to couse of no shields(ofc why shields if army all game stay on base). And forget to spam units from your base and float money - i easy kill your base. You could try to save base with mcv+tanks and move tengu/vx to water for kill my factories - it was only chanse for you to save game. But you didnt and lost all units and i got ground control. From start you did nothing and let me get large money advantage.
If you make unit - you must use it. Use now, not in 10 sec or 10 mins. Tengus and vx always must be in air and control map. Scouting and fight for map and game control from start. Adapt to your opponent.

+
# 35B00M Jan 8 2017, 16:03 PM
I've got another one, rather general though.
do you watch replays of games you lose to improve or not? And if so which ones do you decide to watch?

+
# 36Papa_Coming Jan 8 2017, 20:49 PM
Hey. I was playing 3v3 some time ago and faced Vindies. As you may have noticed, he like spamming dogs in the early game and capture both oilderricks. I wanna know if it is worth responding with dozens of bears and stop his dog rush, to save oil. or is it better just to ignore the dog rush. I kinda felt my eco was ruined after trying to stop his dog rush with bears.

+
# 37B00M Jan 8 2017, 21:05 PM
Best counter to dogrush is conscripts mixed with a couple of bears, but mostly conscripts, they completely destroy dogs

+
# 38Papa_Coming Jan 8 2017, 22:49 PM
QUOTE(B00M @ Jan 8 2017, 21:05 PM) *

Best counter to dogrush is conscripts mixed with a couple of bears, but mostly conscripts, they completely destroy dogs

when i say dog rush, it is rly dogrush. He kill my consripts, bears, blocks my infantry building. its magmageddon bottom spots, where u dont have enough time to make enough consripts.

+
# 39GBHmichael Jan 8 2017, 22:58 PM
QUOTE(WeKill @ Jan 8 2017, 20:49 PM) *

Hey. I was playing 3v3 some time ago and faced Vindies. As you may have noticed, he like spamming dogs in the early game and capture both oilderricks. I wanna know if it is worth responding with dozens of bears and stop his dog rush, to save oil. or is it better just to ignore the dog rush. I kinda felt my eco was ruined after trying to stop his dog rush with bears.

If you start bear -> engineer -> bear -> scripts and you notice a very high number of dogs (I usually go by 5 +) on a map where the dogs could potentially catch out your engineer, it is worth getting a battle bunker. The bunker will keep your engineer and any scripts you build safe until you have a high enough number to move out. It is important to note that you may have to dance around with your bear a bit to delay the dog attack until the bunker is up - use the roars towards the end if you need to. Once you're finished with the bunker, just sell it.

Do NOT spam bears. Scripts > Dogs. Dogs > Bears (cost/speed on land).

Here is a replay as an example

This post has been edited by GBHmichael: Jan 8 2017, 23:18 PM

+
# 40Dimon0000000 Jan 9 2017, 00:50 AM
QUOTE(B00M @ Jan 9 2017, 02:03 AM) *

I've got another one, rather general though.
do you watch replays of games you lose to improve or not? And if so which ones do you decide to watch?

Usually i exactly know my mistakes already in process of game or after. So i watch replays very rarely, only if i want know all details and better see full picture of game. But for other players i think it could be usefull. Watch top level game and find difference between player's move and move you usually do.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)