Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

[GRMC] Hills of Scary

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1TheRanger_ Mar 29 2017, 21:40 PM
Here is my map for the map contest. It is a simple map with simple ideas, though I am glad with how it came out (mostly the textures), and it enhanced my experience and ideas for any future maps.

It's a simple layout, with three gaps with which players may choose to sally their troops, with the town in the upper right corner and small obstructions here and there.

There are 2 Warg Lairs and 1 Troll Cave;
With 1 Inn, 1 Outpost, 1 Signal Fire.

I chose this theme (though not at first) because I love the Shire and Hobbits and their way of life, and chose a location not very known among many people.

I hope people enjoy this novice mapper's attempt at yet another map smile.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File Hills_of_Scary.zip
Size: 626.3k
Number of downloads: 284
Player Name Side Team

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2TheRanger_ Mar 29 2017, 21:53 PM
There is a story here, if you care to listen. I had originally meant to make a map for the contest with a Rhûn theme and setting, since they are my very favourite enemy type. I had gotten the map nearly done, with about 75% of the map completed, though because of Life's inconsistencies it had taken me nearly half the month to do it. Then I check one day randomly to see if anyone had uploaded their own maps, and my heart sank when I see that three other maps had been uploaded with the same Rhûn setting frusty.gif

So I decided at first to not bother continuing since I had been beat, and four Rhûn maps just simply wouldn't be very diverse. But then a week or two later my heart's desire to make a map (which I love doing) and joining in a contest (which I love also) grew too great for me to ignore, so I started once again making a new map, though I nearly finished too late lol! And here it is! biggrin.gif

+
# 3Lazarus° Mar 29 2017, 22:22 PM
IPB Image

I don't want to criticize but o boi that road looks like it was from Empire Earth I laugh.gif. You should use at least three textures on single terrain element. Here is basic texturing guide.

+
# 4TheRanger_ Mar 30 2017, 10:12 AM
QUOTE(Lazarus° @ Mar 29 2017, 22:22 PM) *

I don't want to criticize but o boi that road looks like it was from Empire Earth I laugh.gif. You should use at least three textures on single terrain element.

Hey I enjoy criticism very much when it comes to maps! As this is only my third map ever finished I love hearing from expert and experienced mappers who say what they think can be improved. I enjoy making maps very much and love learning from people; so thanks for letting me know what you think, and no more crappy roads for me! thumb.gif

+
# 5Andy San Mar 30 2017, 11:51 AM
I am worse than you Silver, no worries biggrin.gif Let's hope for the best while playing this map. Might be pretty good. As for the textures there is always the option to improve.

+
# 6Excelsior Mar 30 2017, 12:05 PM
Looks very nice. smile.gif Good job! As Lazarus pointed out, you may want to smoothen out those pathways textures a bit. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

This post has been edited by Excelsior: Apr 1 2017, 00:27 AM

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 7brabox Mar 30 2017, 13:52 PM
What an unfortunately named village

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)