Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

what about a faster Zero Hour server (gentool) and a fps info of all players?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Nightspider Feb 9 2018, 15:08 PM
Hey guys,

everybode knows the lags and disconnects of the current online server.

Is there any information what kind of server is provided and who pays for it?

Would it has any advantage if we, the community, is gifting money for a better server?
A new faster server would mean a faster online experience with less lag, right?

If a few player would gift like 5 dollars a month we could rent a much faster server i guess.

And i have another question for the gentool developers:

Is it possible to include an fps counter of every player in the player-table when you started a match?

There are still some players with very old hardware. Last game my teammate has just around 15fps in a bigger fight because he was playing on an old computer at work.

It would be nice to know which players are slowing down the game and who is responsible for the lags in games with bigger armies.

+
# 2Opsnyder Feb 9 2018, 15:49 PM
Knowing the FPS of other players would require that the Gentool of players would continuously send this data to a server while continuously fetching the data of other players from this server. That's a lot of work to implement and a lot of traffic for very little gain.

I also doubt that having a different server would help with the connection issues. When we still had the Gamespy servers there was as much trouble to connect to other players as we do now. So it's pretty obvious that ZH's architecture is just utter rubbish.

This post has been edited by Opsnyder: Feb 9 2018, 15:52 PM

Clan: MENTAL

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 3Nightspider Feb 9 2018, 23:26 PM
Well you could send the fps only 1 times a second. Sending 1 number a second is barely no trafic.

So a player would send 1 number and receive 1-7 other numbers. The amount of data is like nothing.

And i dont mean a new server would fix connection problems. Im really just talking about performance improvements and less lag in lobbies.

+
# 4Encore^ Feb 10 2018, 00:10 AM
The ping feature was taken out by Gentool to show who has GT or not. But it didn't give an alternative. The FPS feature was requested multiple times but the developer has no interest in doing it. So, NO.

IPB Image

+
# 5-ExiLe` Feb 10 2018, 00:17 AM
QUOTE(Encore^ @ Feb 10 2018, 01:10 AM) *

The ping feature was taken out by Gentool to show who has GT or not. But it didn't give an alternative. The FPS feature was requested multiple times but the developer has no interest in doing it. So, NO.

IPB Image

lmao

you could also check out the screenshots for fps on gentool

+
# 6Opsnyder Feb 10 2018, 01:57 AM
QUOTE(Nightspider @ Feb 10 2018, 01:26 AM) *

Well you could send the fps only 1 times a second. Sending 1 number a second is barely no trafic.

So a player would send 1 number and receive 1-7 other numbers. The amount of data is like nothing.
And i dont mean a new server would fix connection problems. Im really just talking about performance improvements and less lag in lobbies.

No offense, but it's obvious you don't do anything IT related. One request per second per person is actually a lot of traffic, especially considering it all has to go trough a private server. Xezon knows a lot better than me so I might be completely wrong, but this is my educated guess.

Clan: MENTAL

+
# 7Nightspider Feb 10 2018, 06:58 AM
Well my academic studies is 50% IT so....i have an idea how tiny the bits are to send a number to a hand full of persons. wink.gif

I think dont doing this is not a problem of internet bandwidth.

But i really would love to know what kind of hardware is inside of the private(?) server and if we could help xezon with it (if he is the person renting the server).

+
# 8Plokite_Wolf Feb 10 2018, 08:14 AM
QUOTE(Nightspider @ Feb 9 2018, 16:08 PM) *

Is there any information what kind of server is provided and who pays for it?

The C&C:Online team does, of course.

Would it has any advantage if we, the community, is gifting money for a better server?

The server itself is sufficient, but it's the rudimentary GameSpy technology that the server emulates that's the problem. Someone would need to dive into it and fix that horrible mess, but there's only one active coder in the C&C:Online staff and he's quite busy all-around.

There are still some players with very old hardware. Last game my teammate has just around 15fps in a bigger fight because he was playing on an old computer at work.

The engine in Generals/Zero Hour is notoriously unoptimized. In pretty much every larger battle, everyone lags even when playing campaign/skirmishes because memory leaks occur. GenTool fixes some of them but not all of them.

And... exit 2003 and get proper computers, people.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)