Explore GameReplays...

Act of War: Direct Action

[R] USA defensive strat (no, not a turret spam)

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1STCAB Jun 10 2006, 15:41 PM
I had a nice defensive strat going here. I was gonna go offensive, (more than I did) but he really kept pressure on me. At the end when I got a few apaches up, he DCed on me.

Lots of stuff to learn here, and tips to use.

I haven't seen many players play this type of strat, so watch and learn, complete BO is in there biggrin.gif
Lots of other stuff here too, this tp|7 dude is a 2 star general. So this wasn't some n00b I owned.

Should be a good watch.

Attached File(s)
Attached File Allnicks_vs_OGEpner.rar
Size: 946.49k
Number of downloads: 75

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 2KingsRevenge Jun 11 2006, 02:23 AM
This should be cool thanks for posting it.

Game: Act of War: Direct Action

+
# 3KingsRevenge Jun 11 2006, 04:22 AM
At first, I thought this was just an outright raw strat replay, but its not. This was actually a good intresting watch. Since this is a good replay and strat in half, I'll briefly explain the game and then talk about the strat which is interesting.

Replay Review
For the most part the replay started off wierd with allnicks in uses' BO, not wierd but different. But wierd in the fact that it didn't look like it could withdstand an attack from a CST player. Another USA player and it would be no worries. However the game starts with allnicks in use staying around homebase and not expanding , while he does this it allows for TP to expand and capture the outskirt oil derricks. During this point he accumulates alot of resources to send some large attacks towards allnicks base which is able to suprisingly defend all attacks due to good micro and units being in the right place at the right t ime. Had TP not randomly sent his units in without a direct formation the battles would have been different. Because TP was smart at taking the derricks quickly it allowed him to gather up plenty of money and go for a super weapon which is an ideal plan that I would have in mind. Upon driving the super weapon into allnicks base, he ends up killing a hospital full of POW's and a bulk of allnicks base. However because of apaches allnicks base is safe and he is able to win the game with an impressive attack to both of TP's expansions on the outskirts which are lightly defended. Because of this when the oil at home ran out ofr TP and he had no POW"s it was GG for him. This is a very good game and I recommend everyone watch it.

Strat Analysis

The bo goes, refinery,barracks+power,then hospital with 3 javs for defence at the start. To me this is kind of scary, the other day I got pwned by SKSUS with a well defnded base because my javs took forever to ram his hummer with a missle while in ambush mode and he was able to gun them down with ease. The negative aspect of not being able to have that armor depot is it doesn't allow you to have any way to quickly transport or quickly attack something in the early game for expasion defense or awareness. Howeverwith the hospital you get the mortars which is a great way to attack infantry. I'm not sure how well they are against buggies but against infantry they are VERY good. (On a side note, I learned this weekend in a game with Razor14 in which my game conked out and gave me a DInput error which made me have to quit. The CHipwea stealthy helicopter is great for killing a group of inf with its rockets. It pretty much obliterates inf and all you need is one) The hospital also provides you with the chopper which is a great scout. In most cases I usually try to act like I don't have the chopper at the beginning, but allnicks kept spreading around the chopper to find out where tthe enemy was and his wear abouts. One thing that worked out positvely for allnicks is the fact that he didn't attack. If he attacked TP's base anywhere from the sides his hummer would've bene shredded by the sniper in the buildings on those flanks and the commando to clean up the inf. Besides that this is the bulk of the starting BO and you just have to wait for an enemy attack. He did build an armor depot slightly later but I find the effectivness of this strat relies on if you can catch your enemy offguard, or you are playing an opponent that is non aggressive within teh first 2 minutes of the game. After that you should have a light armor depot available and some form of a tank to help with defense. Another aspect thats importan in this BO is that bradleys are far more effective vs TFT tanks than hummers smile.gif. I like my hummers but in a BO like this bradleys take the cake. The last tidbit of info I noticed is you can hide the mortars in the hospital under the mesh tent opening. This may make it hard to locate and kill the mortar while you are trying to attack a base like this.

+
# 4STCAB Jun 11 2006, 09:21 AM
I allways imagined US being played like this. I actually went "POW upgrade" after the hospital. This is key to the strat. Using hummers, medevac scouting, and bradleys, you can raid his less defended depots for POWs, each tanker gives you 1 POW, and the refinery gives you 2 I think. What do you gain from this? 500 x 3 tankers, pluss 1 refinery. 2,5K + the fact that you get constant income from the prison/hospital!!! What do you lose due to the fact that you probably scouted? YOU LOSE NOTHING! What does he lose? For a CST player: 2000 for a refinery, and some more for 3 tankers, and 1200 for an oil depot. An oil depot dies VERY easily.

On bank maps, a strat like I did here would probably come a bit short. Since I had to rely on getting POWs quite a bit and in the beginning... very few units. But I figured, if I just kept raiding his expansions, and keep capturing POW's, I shouldn't have a problem at all. I should have an advantage.

EDIT: Note that US also has an oil upgrade on the oil derrick which gives you more oil. This allowes you to sit in your base and just rely on raiding longer than he can attack.

This post has been edited by STCAB: Jun 11 2006, 09:35 AM

+
# 5KingsRevenge Jun 11 2006, 13:00 PM
True the oil upgrade for USA helps a nice amount if you gotta sit in that one spot like you did. However, since you broke down that you bought the pow upgrade, which I missed, and that you get so many pows from derricks such as the pow from tankers and the refineries does help out if your opponent continuously attacks. However, you have to do a great job of defending your base. I'll post the replay of SKSUS pwning me so you can get an idea of what in the world a hummer runnin down your throat and killing everything in one sweep looks like. It was whack but it happened. However as long as nothing like that occurs using this then it seems like its a viable strat. I will have to give this a try. It may be best to get air up as soon as possible though to help with defense, but it makes things tricky.

+
# 6STCAB Jun 11 2006, 15:12 PM
Haha, I'll give it a watch. By the way. Notice how when you set up an ambush that they stand on different sides of the tree. (using tree's as example here)
Now, buggies and Hummers are the meanest anti-ambush-SOB's out there due to the stealth detection they have.
BUT it is limited to what they actually can see. So if you know which direction a Humvee is coming from. Set up an ambush on the opposite side of that tree... ok this didn't make much sense, I'll get a screenshot:

Notice on which side of the tree the javelin is standing.
IPB Image

IPB Image

Now notice the LOS of this buggy.
IPB Image

Ok... Now let's see it in effect.
Here you have a picture of what he is seeing:
IPB Image

Here is what I am seeing:
IPB Image

This means, that for any units, and buggies, you should be able to land 1 javelin shot on it before it gets killed. If the buggy has some infantry with it. You have mortars that can mop them up.

This post has been edited by STCAB: Jun 11 2006, 15:14 PM

+
# 7KingsRevenge Jun 11 2006, 16:39 PM
Ohh I see, good representation there. So how easy is it to correctly place the jav in a correct position in a fast manner, do you just have to approach the ambush position from the correct direction? Because at the beginning of the game in AoW, speed is key.

+
# 8STCAB Jun 11 2006, 16:49 PM
You basically just click on the location you want them to stand. And they'll do the rest.

+
# 9tybalt33 Jun 12 2006, 08:19 AM
lol
Nice rep. Pity he DC'ed.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 10STCAB Jun 12 2006, 09:52 AM
I don't really care if he DC'ed. I know I won. That's really what mattered to me.

+
# 11KingsRevenge Jun 12 2006, 21:11 PM
Yea thats what matters in most cases, just sux that he quit in such a nice comeback smile.gif.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)