84.94% (265)
Starcraft 2
15.06% (47)
Red Alert 3

Total Votes: 312
Guests cannot vote 
Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1terrormarine Feb 17 2008, 04:15 AM
I think that Red Alert 3 is just a response from EA to Starcraft Two beacuse they don't have a major new RTS game coming out (besdies Kane's Wrath). I still think that Starcraft two will be the more sucessfull by a long shot and also that if EA decides to make more RTS's they wont be comparable to Starcraft two. What are your guys opinions?

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Emissary Feb 17 2008, 04:44 AM
It's not even a competition. SC2 will completely destroy RA3 in sales. You've got a POS company (EA) trying to squeeze every single cent out of a worn-out franchise against the best gaming company in the world (Blizzard) that believes in releasing only top quality products and supporting those products for YEARS after their release, not just a few months.

+
# 3AgmLauncher Feb 17 2008, 04:49 AM
Well, if certain people over in our RA3 discussion forum "get their way", then C&C games will never, EVER have the kind of depth that a game like SC2 has. And that's not just because SC2 is going to be more polished due to longer development time, but because fundamentally speaking, traditional C&C mechanics don't provide as many tactical and strategic options as SC gameplay mechanics.

So basically, SC2 will no doubt be more successful as a competitive game than RA3 will (unless EA decides to do something very "un-cnc" and implement SC-style build system, economy, and tech tree.

As far as sales, RA3 sales will probably be close to SC2 sales for the first year or so. After that, SC2 will probably sell better in the long run, simply because positive word of mouth will be broadcast from a much larger multiplayer community.

People who play Starcraft2, who post on other forums, will be comparing game XYZ to Starcraft 2 (like you are in this thread). People will see lots of other people comparing lots of other games to this supposedly amazing SC2, and go off and buy it to see what all the fuss is about. SC2's multiplayer community is like an army of marketing people, spreading word of mouth like crazy.

Look at the RA3 forums now. People mention Starcraft every other post (in a very positive light), and the game is basically 10 years old. That's the kind of word of mouth that drives sales like crazy. C&C multiplayer has never had the kind of activity that SC has had. Unless there's a fluke in terms of online activity, RA3 will simply not have the word of mouth influence that SC2 will have, if only just because of sheer numbers.

What's more is when SC2 was announced, SC went right back up the top of the sales charts for a brief while. That was possible because you can still actually buy it. You can't buy any C&C game older than Generals/ZH, and even then, that's if you're lucky.

So I agree with you, in the long run SC2 will outsell RA3, and will have a MUCH larger multiplayer community, due to the culture of SC.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 4Mokon Feb 17 2008, 04:55 AM
Yeah well in my tremendously biased opinion SC2 will pwn RA3. biggrin.gif Anyhow, more seriously overall the C&C games aim for shorter dev periods with a different game style. Both series are still very good games. In fact, C&C games are what first got me into the genre. biggrin.gif

+
# 5Sly Feb 17 2008, 05:05 AM
I've never understood why anyone liked any command and conquer games. They were never remotely interesting in comparison to what Blizzard had to offer, and 10 years later, their games are getting even worse. I wont even consider spending 5 dollars on RA 3, while I'm willing to spend 100 on SC2 because you know that 10 years after SC2 comes out, you'll probably still be playing it if you're a hardcore RTS fan.

Clan: EPIC

+
# 6AgmLauncher Feb 17 2008, 06:10 AM
C&C's success as a franchise is due in large part to its accessibility. Its typically simpler gameplay is easier to pick up and play for a lot of people. That's mainly why I went with C&C games back in the day, rather than Blizzard games.

But it's clear that anyone who is a fan of the RTS genre as a whole, rather than a fanboy of any one franchise, has to respect the depth that results from Blizzard's slightly-less-than-accessible gameplay.

However, accessibility is still a big factor that determines what games I get into or not. I don't like AoE3 because it's just go too much "frivolous" stuff for me to worry about it. So there will always be a HUGE market for simple, accessible games, even for people who are diehard multiplayer fans.

In fact, that's why the Nintendo Wii is stomping everyone's ass in sales atm. Far more accessible gameplay.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 7Chaz95 Feb 17 2008, 08:01 AM
Starcraft 2 would own RA3 any day. But RA3's co-op campaign sounds quite intriguing. I sure wish Starcraft 2 has that. But still, I've been anticipating Starcraft 2 since the day I heard a random on the train say: "Did you hear Starcraft 2 is announced?"

And we all can expect the quality gameplay and multiplayer from Blizzard as well right? smile.gif

+
# 8AngryHan Feb 17 2008, 12:24 PM
I'm surprised they've stopped selling SC in my local game shop sad.gif

Clan: H2

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 9terrormarine Feb 17 2008, 15:00 PM
Yea I'm positive Starcraft 2 will destroy RA3 in sales and in haveing a amazeing community. But Starcraft also has something RA3 doesn't, Battle.Net, which is one the reason starcraft does die becuse even after 10 years of sales, they just released another patch for it. I also think that Starcraft 2 will sell for another ten years untill Starcraft 3 thumb.gif

+
# 10Eirenarch Feb 17 2008, 15:28 PM
Learn from history.
SC crashed RA1
SC crashed C&C:TS
SC crashed RA2
SC crashed Generals (that is arguable and even if it is not entirely true Generals is the most SC like and less C&C game in the series)

It even seems that SC beats C&C3.

So what do we learn from our history lesson? Question to the class. Will SC2 crash RA3? smile.gif

+
# 11chosan Feb 17 2008, 16:41 PM
QUOTE(AgmLauncher @ Feb 17 2008, 05:49 AM) *

Well, if certain people over in our RA3 discussion forum "get their way", then C&C games will never, EVER have the kind of depth that a game like SC2 has.

No, the only reason RA3 wont ever get the same depth as SC2 is that EA games is developing it.

QUOTE(AgmLauncher @ Feb 17 2008, 05:49 AM) *

C&C multiplayer has never had the kind of activity that SC has had

Well EA made that sure by buying westwood, stop patching, and closing down the multiplayer servers.

You can't buy any C&C game older than Generals/ZH, and even then, that's if you're lucky.

Lol afaik CNC first decade in the stores 0wn3d.gif

Blizzard pwns EA games, thats why SC2 will own RA3 and not because its influenced by past cnc games which for that matter is alot more competetive than any RTS game ever developed by EA

Learn from history.
SC crashed RA1
SC crashed C&C:TS
SC crashed RA2
SC crashed Generals (that is arguable and even if it is not entirely true Generals is the most SC like and less C&C game in the series)

It even seems that SC beats C&C3.

So what do we learn from our history lesson? Question to the class. Will SC2 crash RA3?

Hmm, how do you mean when u say that SC "crashed" all those games, im sure that together all those cnc games sold more than SC.

This post has been edited by chosan: Feb 17 2008, 16:49 PM

Game: Kings and Castles

+
# 12evotech Feb 17 2008, 18:39 PM
I dont know why you would even make a poll on this lol

but imo, i WISH that RA3 will be better then SC2, simply because i dont like SC at all.

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 13CheeKy` Feb 17 2008, 19:10 PM
SC2 Will totally rape RA3 Koreans FTW!!!!!!....w/e. Also you had to wait longer for SC2 and EA is fucking up good games lately. Blizzard just pwns EA.

Clan: Teh Memberz

Game: None

+
# 14Feynmaniac Feb 17 2008, 21:52 PM
QUOTE(evotech @ Feb 17 2008, 18:39 PM) *

i dont like SC at all.

Congratulations, you are now on the US most wanted listed for terrorism.

This post has been edited by Logabob: Feb 17 2008, 21:55 PM

Game: Grey Goo

+
# 15Sinister Grin Feb 17 2008, 22:03 PM
QUOTE(Logabob @ Feb 17 2008, 16:52 PM) *

Congratulations, you are now on the US most wanted listed for terrorism.

lol we dont need the gov we'll just take care of him ourselves numchuks.gif ph34r.gif numchuks.gif ph34r.gif

+
# 16KillerHippy Feb 17 2008, 22:21 PM
1. you are asking this on an SC2 forums= bias
2. SC2 ain't out yet, so you cant compare

Game: League of Legends

+
# 17WELCOME2AUSTRALIA88 Feb 18 2008, 09:58 AM
RA3 aint out yet either, so comparing 2 unreleased games is pretty valid imo.

SC2 is gonna own it hands down. Everyone knows it with half a brain. Bias or not RA3 is gonna get raped HARD by SC2.

+
# 18Emissary Feb 18 2008, 13:31 PM
QUOTE(KillerHippy @ Feb 17 2008, 16:21 PM) *

1. you are asking this on an SC2 forums= bias
2. SC2 ain't out yet, so you cant compare

Well, we can't compare SC3 to RA4, but we can certainly say that SC2 will totally own RA3 because of the reputation of SC1. The StarCraft series will dominate everything until they mess it up.

+
# 19vb4 Feb 18 2008, 14:53 PM
Even if SC2 sucks balls, RA3 will be crushed.
Just because of the name and its reputation.

Game: Universe at War

+
# 20CheeKy` Feb 18 2008, 16:27 PM
Even if SC2 sucks balls, RA3 will be crushed.
Just because of the name and its reputation.

First of all they both have good names. Second CnC has an uber good reputation as well.

Clan: Teh Memberz

Game: None

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)