Explore GameReplays...

Heroes of Newerth

Why Easy Mode is Bad

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1kustodian Feb 4 2010, 23:24 PM
Why Easy Mode is Bad

I would like to thank Torture for this great article and I hope it teaches a lot of players (especially the new ones) that they should stay away from easy mode.

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 2Archatype Feb 5 2010, 01:31 AM
great write-up. Lots of stuff I haven't even thought about, even though I haven't played an EM game in over 500 games played...

+
# 3Luke Skywalker Feb 5 2010, 01:42 AM
Hahahahaha, that was awesome!

Poor EM, you just got owned.

And I agree, if you actually want to play the game like it should be played, then stay away from EM.

Game: Hardware

+
# 4atdsutm Feb 5 2010, 01:54 AM
im still suprised by the number of people in HoN forums trying to justify EM

and also psr should not count on EM games

Game: Act of Aggression

+
# 5KissKiss Feb 5 2010, 01:54 AM
Jesus, equating EM to smoking?

I play EM when I pug because non-EM with zilch teamplay is boring and frustrating. I can pick a hero I wouldn't ordinarily play and generally mess around. I don't think it hurts your ability to play non-EM any more than playing a completely different game for a couple of hours would.

Ofc, trying to apply EM strats to the standard game mode is total fail, and you don't learn anything other than what works in EM, but still it can be fun to go Codex Scout for lols.

I definitely think they need to rename it to something other than EM, because it gives the impression that its somehow easier to play, or its like training wheels for the real thing. It is neither of these things.

This post has been edited by KissKiss: Feb 5 2010, 01:57 AM

+
# 64as Feb 5 2010, 02:15 AM
If S2 would rename it to "QuickGame Mode" people wouldnt care as much.

+
# 7Sixy Feb 5 2010, 02:28 AM
QUOTE(KissKiss @ Feb 5 2010, 01:54 AM) *

Jesus equating Smoking to EM

How dare you shit on smoking. Smoking has never made anyone rage nor has smoking made Noso blow my ear drums out. Nor has Smoking made me make countless kids cry.

TAKE IT BACK TORTURE OR I DISOWN YOU.

Im stressed out now im going for a smoke. Then ill slit my wrists before i EVER play EM on purpose.

+
# 8Schizofriendlia Feb 5 2010, 03:25 AM
wow @ emo rage

+
# 9smyger Feb 5 2010, 04:37 AM
Please clear 2 things up, the speculative part about non communicating players in em mode. What are the res resources here? or did you pull that out of your ass to scare rookies?

Why is Marchers a bad item at the beginning? Speed is often deciding factor between life and death.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 10Javdani Feb 5 2010, 05:52 AM
Spending 500 for speed isn't useful unless you #1: Are one of few selected heroes, and #2: Know how to use that hero.

You can buy so many things that help you significantly early game for 500 that because of _that_ you can make a general statement saying "spending 500 on boots to begin with, is a bad choice".

+
# 11Madzda Feb 5 2010, 07:21 AM
U shouldnt have listed those " ridicoulus things u can only succeed in em " bla bla ..
Now i will have to try doing just that ^^
anyhow, nice guide

+
# 12Zm0r Feb 5 2010, 07:32 AM
This post is kinda lame... Easy mode is for fun mostly. Most of the time i just don't feel like being concentrated on last hitting or denying or what ever and just wanna kill people (with some retarded hero like Devourer). And i have loads of friends that only play easy mode (which is also lame.. 100% em is just dumb) so i play wif them...
And that thing about being kicked because you have a lot of EM%, who ever wrote this article had a bad experience because of his EM% xD
On 4/5 of my accounts i have over 50% EM and never had a problem finding a game.
And it's not that much of a difference between EM and NM, and if u claim it to be very different, than i can claim that you just need to L2P.
Every hero that rocks in normal mode, will do that in easy mode, only not in 40 minutes, but in 28 minutes... That's the only difference imo.

+
# 13Zm0r Feb 5 2010, 07:34 AM
QUOTE(Zm0r @ Feb 5 2010, 08:32 AM) *

This post is kinda lame... Easy mode is for fun mostly. Most of the time i just don't feel like being concentrated on last hitting or denying or what ever and just wanna kill people (with some retarded hero like Devourer). And i have loads of friends that only play easy mode (which is also lame.. 100% em is just dumb) so i play wif them...
And that thing about being kicked because you have a lot of EM%, who ever wrote this article had a bad experience because of his EM% xD
On 4/5 of my accounts i have over 50% EM and never had a problem finding a game.
And it's not that much of a difference between EM and NM, and if u claim it to be very different, than i can claim that you just need to L2P.
Every hero that rocks in normal mode, will do that in easy mode, only not in 40 minutes, but in 28 minutes... That's the only difference imo.

Why did i reply to Madzda's post??? I wanted to reply to the topic xD
Sorry for the confusion

+
# 14kustodian Feb 5 2010, 08:51 AM
This article is mainly intended for new players. So they don't start learning the game via easy mode. I don't know what is all the fuss about it.

+
# 15X-Flame Feb 5 2010, 10:23 AM
QUOTE(KissKiss @ Feb 5 2010, 02:54 AM) *

I play EM when I pug because non-EM with zilch teamplay is boring and frustrating. I can pick a hero I wouldn't ordinarily play and generally mess around. I don't think it hurts your ability to play non-EM any more than playing a completely different game for a couple of hours would.

Ofc, trying to apply EM strats to the standard game mode is total fail, and you don't learn anything other than what works in EM, but still it can be fun to go Codex Scout for lols.

I definitely think they need to rename it to something other than EM, because it gives the impression that its somehow easier to play, or its like training wheels for the real thing. It is neither of these things.

This! Couldn't agree more.

Game: None

+
# 16-Izzo- Feb 5 2010, 10:25 AM
I though the article was bit too long and slightly confusing on what its point was. I was reading the article and he was telling what's bad about EM, and then it suddenly turned into "here's tips if you want to play EM", wot? And a Q&A part in an article? Maybe in the end a small section, but it started out with it and just didn't fit. Ugly article and its direction was unclear.

QUOTE(Zm0r @ Feb 5 2010, 09:32 AM) *

That's probably because you play low psr games. People in those games don't care to check on stats, and are just generally bad players so they don't also care if you have high EM %. You start playing 1600+ 1700+ games and you will notice that you will get kicked 99% of the time if you have over ~30% EM.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 17Necrosjef Feb 5 2010, 11:08 AM
Nice read. Shame it won't change attitudes though.

I understand that almost 2/3 of all HoN games played are in EM mode. Thats a pretty sad statistic.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 18Noso Feb 5 2010, 13:15 PM
Just to clear things up, it doesn't matter how you try to justify playing EM, it is still a joke, it still creates bad habbits.

The smoking comment was my addition, and I smoke. Sixy, I'm still going to kill you.

I would invite all of you people defending EM to watch this replay FROM THE LEGION POINT OF VIEW so that you can read their chat:
Fast forward to the bits. That is 5 em players, plus one *barely decent* non-em chronos against myself, carmelizer, and Hanai (a newer player), and two pubs, one good, one horrible.

Read their chat. Watch how they play. Needless to say, they next game they played after we beat them was APEM (I checked).

+
# 19Techamber1 Feb 5 2010, 13:29 PM
QUOTE(Noso @ Feb 5 2010, 07:15 AM) *

Just to clear things up, it doesn't matter how you try to justify playing EM, it is still a joke, it still creates bad habbits.

What about if you aren't looking to play seriously or competitive ever and want a game that generally takes less time?

Anyway the article wasn't too for being anti-em, was a bit more than just telling newbies to not play em but that's more than passable over the em raging on the hon forums. Better than the countless No stats, No psr, complete removal topics about em over there.

Clan: Tools of War

+
# 20Nostrand Feb 5 2010, 14:26 PM
It's a great article, imo, but directed towards someone who wants to constantly improve at the game (which arguably this entire website is devoted to). However, there are a lot of people who just enjoy getting in a game and ramboing. The fact is, it's just a different playstyle, not worse or better, but I do agree that if the goal is to try and be the best you can be at the normal game then playing EM would just confuse concepts and is best left ignored.

EM has its place, though, clearly, as so many people play it and love it and defend it. It's just not the choice of the team-oriented gamer.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)