Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

RotY After Poll Discussion

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Couch Feb 23 2013, 13:29 PM
Looking at the results you see that I obviously didn't mind wub counts when choosing the replays for the vote. The reason why I 'dared to ignore the community's opinion' originated from the Replay of the Month features where I took massively wubbed replays as well as replays I thought were as good but received too few wubs. When the portal article was set up and the poll created I always casted my vote and after the month was over and I closed the poll I usually noticed that one of the replays I voted for won.

I then came to the conclusion that I have a pretty good sense for very good replays, and when I sat down to choose the replays for RotY I took the HoF criteria and over the period of more than a week I compiled the nominees. You all surely notice that there are only 3 replays in the selection that have more than 20 wubs. Most of them have almost significantly less - and that despite there were about 20 HoF polls in 2012.

When I started selecting the replays I created a topic in the GD in which you had the chance to suggest nominees. That chance wasn't taken to a great extent, so I just went on with the best intentions. At no point I was intending to cheat on the RA3 community! What you got in the RotY poll was what emerged from applying the HoF criteria as I was convinced. The fact that two replays were voted for more than the most wubbed replay of 2012 and the fact that a replay with almost 30 wubs became #8 while 5 replays with less than 20 wubs ended up better than that replay, show that I can't be totally wrong with the choice to nominate replays with less than 20 wubs.

Nonetheless I really want to give the whole RotY thing a more democratic touch. I invite you to post replays you think are better than one or some of the nominees. If the overall resonance of the community clearly shows that it was a mistake not to include a certain replay, we will figure out a fair way to push replays off the top8 and replays them with the desired ones.

I'm curious to know what you think of the RotY thing. Please give me your feddback and tell me if you think this should be repeated after 2013, or if you want me to do the same thing for 2011.

Regards,

Couch

Game: None

+
# 2Couch Feb 23 2013, 13:54 PM
I promised I would show you what replays were close to making it into the RotY poll and why there were turned down. So here are the three replays that were the closest.

Sybert's VOD
This is an amazing to watch allies mirror. To make it short Lictor was in the defense for basically the whole game standing on 3 vs. 5 refineries and just didn't want to lose. Konghans threw attack after attack at Lictor but he was always magically able to fend him off.
This replay was requested by Maniek after he had watched Sybert's cast.
The reasons why this replay didn't make it was that Konghans left Lictor the chance to make a comeback. He temporarily floated 7k and later 13k and at one point (you don't see it in the cast) he loses 7 or more Cryocopters undefended to Apollos. That was a devastating loss.

Sybert's cast
Another incredible comeback this time by Tingu. For the whole game at the edge of existence he pulls off a comeback. While that is amazing to watch, it's painful to watch for any pro allied player. PUPS is several levels beneath Tingu and that is visible in the replay. A lot of mistake and the sheer inability to finish Tingu off when he's weak...

This replay wasn't turned down due to the lack of skill but rather because of the over-concentration. This game was dominated by Tingu and while that is once again amazing to watch Dingo is left with almost no chance is totally out-played. It's kind of predictable to guess who is going to win.

+
# 3Commissioner Sybert Feb 23 2013, 16:23 PM
Congrats to Tingu for player of the year as well as Lictor and Kivi for owning Replay of the Year!

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 4Mr.Kivi Feb 24 2013, 02:19 AM
First place in replay of the year? Really? n1qshok.gif

Clan: H2O

+
# 5Proffloff89 Feb 24 2013, 05:09 AM
Congratz Tingu smile.gif
Nicely done Crouch for doing this, this actually made me watch some replays(havent done it in 4 years) so thats good ^^
The only minus about this is that everything is based on ur opinion. You decidied alone who became player of the year by choosing 5 of tingus replays. Now obv you and zokker dont like empire, so next time i think you should get a bigger group of 10-20 ppl deciding were theese players play all the factions. I missed an SvE replay what is the most entertaining matchup in my mind smile.gif

+
# 6JulzzZ Feb 24 2013, 13:30 PM
I've already talked to couch about similar things but yeah..

everything that proffloff said +1

Game: League of Legends

+
# 7psychoturtle Feb 24 2013, 13:53 PM
agreed with proff ... anyways congrats

julz was the best in 2012 OLOL

Clan: H2O

+
# 8Couch Feb 24 2013, 16:27 PM
It was only after I had the replays narrowed down to 11 possible candidates that I realized that there is only one empire replay. It's definitely not I don't like empire. If you find any replay of 2012 you think should have made it into the top 8 please link it.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)