Explore GameReplays...

Grey Goo

What kind of shroud/fog of war do you prefer?

What kind of shroud/fog of war do you prefer?
0.00% (0)
Shroud
80.00% (20)
Fog of War
20.00% (5)
Shroud AND fog of war
0.00% (0)
No fog of war of shroud

Total Votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1-Netput Jun 4 2014, 13:16 PM
#1 - shroud
You won't see the map unless you scout it. Once revealed it stays revealed.
Attached Image

#2 - fog of war
Pretty much what all games have now. You can see the entire map, but not what is going on. Once you scout the area, you temporarily see what is going on.
Attached Image

#3 - Shroud AND fog of war
The entire map is black until you scout it. You can reveal the map by scouting it, but after you lose vision, fog of war will appear.
Attached Image

#4 - No fog of war or shroud
You see everything that is going on.

Clan: Prisoners Of War

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 2TRIberiumX Jun 4 2014, 15:56 PM
Shroud + Fog of War.
The shroud should only apply for maps that are randomly generated.
Official maps or custom maps should only have just the Fog of War. (Makes no sense to include the shroud right?)

Game: None

+
# 3Constable Chris Jun 4 2014, 16:01 PM
Well out of all these, i think fog of war is the best, pretty much like RA3 , you temporarly see what's going on.

Clan: H2O

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 4Shadowfury333 Jun 5 2014, 01:30 AM
Fog of War alone, though having deeper fog for as-yet-unexplored areas (which StarCraft 2 does) is probably the best way to go about it. Having shroud and FoW doesn't help to encourage new maps to be played, since figuring out what one can do is a matter of memorization rather than on-the-fly analysis.

That being said, it looks like the devs are going with Fog of War at this point, judging by the videos.

+
# 5Ronovic Jun 5 2014, 09:03 AM
QUOTE(Shadowfury333 @ Jun 5 2014, 13:30 PM) *

Fog of War alone, though having deeper fog for as-yet-unexplored areas (which StarCraft 2 does) is probably the best way to go about it. Having shroud and FoW doesn't help to encourage new maps to be played, since figuring out what one can do is a matter of memorization rather than on-the-fly analysis.

That being said, it looks like the devs are going with Fog of War at this point, judging by the videos.

100% agreed.
The first time you play a custom map, it will be near impossible to know what routes to take or where the expansions are unless you dedicate a game to just scouting entirely. This will deter many players.
Fog of war is therefore the most appropriate option, as i can see custom maps being a big factor in this game in the future.

Clan: m8s

+
# 6RedPawn Jun 6 2014, 20:39 PM
Fog of War only.

I really don't like the shroud and whish it wasn't there in Starcraft.

Clan: m8s

+
# 7RRcabal Jun 10 2014, 14:55 PM
I would say fog of war too, just so used to it now a days, that it's just the perfect way to play grey goo. smile.gif

+
# 8swaix Jun 16 2014, 09:29 AM
I prefere FoW, shroud is so old style! smile.gif

btw Grey Goo seems to have something like 2 level FoW first grey for unscouted zone, and a second colored if you previously scout that zone.

+
# 9djw2104 Jun 17 2014, 13:22 PM
My preference is for FOW only.

+
# 10GhostTX Jul 22 2014, 23:20 PM
Fog of War. Even if only one person "knows" the map, the other player can still ascertain it's features and level the playing field so to speak.

Besides, in a "hi-tech" world, everybody should know what landscape looks like (satellites, etc). Heck, even in WWII, they knew the landscape from recon flights.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: Company of Heroes

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)