Explore GameReplays...

Supreme Commander

Unofficial Supreme Commander Map Editor

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1HazardX Dec 30 2006, 02:10 AM
It is here, the first (inofficial) map editor for SupCom!

What it does:
- Edit terrain and texturing of maps (real 3D display of the terrain)
- Add/Remove/Edit start locations, mass points, AI markers, etc.
- Add/Remove/Edit Decals and Props to decorate your maps
- Resize Maps
- Restrict build options on a map

What it does NOT do (yet):
- Editing of Singleplayer missions (only multiplayer maps for now)
- Adding units or wreckage to a map
- Individual scripting

BE AWARE that this is just a Beta version. There might be errors, bugs, crashes and maybe even corrupted files. You are using this at you own risk! (I don't expect any massively bad things to happen, but you never know. biggrin.gif )

Since the editor supports the full SCMAP format now, the loading times and the memory usage have increased alot! Especially on larger maps it does need alot of (Video- and System-)RAM. Functions like Resize, Load/Save and Import/Export may need a while to complete. Just don't panic when the app freezes for some time.

The overall performance is quite bad! Loading times are horrid and the whole thing runs SLOW. I haven't done ANY optimizations yet! In example a 80x80km map is rendered in full detail with all of its 33.000.000 polygons... laugh.gif There is a lot potential for optimizations.

Download version 0.471 Beta HERE!

Requirements

This tool requires the .Net Framework 2.0 and at least
the DirectX 9.0c November06 update to be installed on your
PC. If the application crashes or behaves in an unwanted
manner then download and install those updates.

.Net Framework 2.0 DOWNLOAD

DirectX Web-Updater DOWNLOAD

Changelog

Version 0.471:
- Fixed a bug which made all decals invisible in the editor

Version 0.47:
- NoRush support (added "NoRush Offset" to Player Markers and "NoRush Radius" to map options)
- Fixed some incompatibilities with new SupCom patches
- Fixed crash when heightmap reaches maximum height
- Fixed some reasons for crashing while saving
- Improved preview image importing (converts image to the right format and size and resets the alpha channel)

Version 0.46:
- Fixed a bug that may corrupt a map while saving
- Fixed preview not being saved correctly sometimes
- A backup of the old SCMAP is always created while saving. Remember to remove the backup SCMAP before releasing a map.
- Secured the saving process further to prevent map corruption
- Added "type" info to scenario.lua
- Added option to save each file of the map seperately
- Added option to spawn resources with players (many thanks to Jotto for the idea and the great script!)
- Improved marker positioning while dragging on rough terrain
- Naval markers on land are now displayed as improper
- Added shortcuts F1-F7 to switch editor tab
- Added shortcuts to add markers
- Improved stability a little bit

Version 0.45:
- Fixed a bug that sometimes corrupted the map-border
- Fixed a major memory-leak in the heightmap editor
- Fixed a memory-leak in the texture editor
- Fixed errors that occured while drawing textures at borders
- Optimized performance (especially when zoomed-in)
- Added ability to save screen as map-preview on preview tab
- Added Macro Texture layer option

Version 0.42:
- Fixed startup-problems on 64bit systems (hopefully)
- Added "New Level" button
- Added "Map Specific" textures option (selectable as tileset)
- Added new Shortcuts:
* 1-5: Select Texture Layer 1-5
* +, -, [, ]: Increase/Decrease tool size
* Same with Shift-Key: Modify the tool intensity
* Same with Ctrl-Key: Modify the tool sharpness

Version 0.41:
- Added more error handlers to prevent crashes
- Added options to display markers and props in all views
- Added option to disable Waves, which speeds up loading and saving of water-maps by multiple times! Good for testing!
- Added shortcuts for all views (T=Terrain, H=Heightmap, etc.)
- Added Shortcut Crtl+B to generate a new buildability map
- Texture- and Heightmaps update instantly after importing now
- Props now get saved in default rotation until it is fixed

Version 0.40:
- Added full in-editor Heightmap drawing
- Added batch drawing/removing/moving for props

Version 0.38:
- Realtime 3D Rendering of Terrain, Textures and Water
- Added full in-editor Texture drawing

Version 0.35:
- Added ability to read SupCom Data (needed for textures)
- Added Prop support (add, remove, modify)
- Added Decal Texture support (add, remove, modify)
- Added Decal Normalmap support (add, remove, modify)
- Added texture layer support (solo import/export)
- Added drawing tool for future in-editor drawing
- Added first beta-test for in-editor layer drawing
- Added ability to change layer textures
- Added texture preview for decal and layer textures
- Added Enhancement Restrictions
- Added Build Restrictions (but doesn't work correctly)
- Added automatic calculation of shoreline waves
- Many other minor improvements

Version 0.282:
- Fixed a bug with maps not saved corretly under a new name
- Added option to save maps in a Beta v38 compatible format

Version 0.28:
- Added option to show a grid on the map
- Added option to calculate a buildability map (color indicates how suiteable it is as build location)
- Markers on too rough or unsuitable ground will be displayed in dark-red color now
- Modified marker icons

Version 0.27:
- Improved Open Map Dialog stability
- Added some more understandable error messages
- Forced map loading to use ASCII strings (this may fix problems with languages that use multi-byte fonts)
- Fixed the "Black Screen" bug

Version 0.26:
- Added automatic calculation of Normalmap
- Removed all (now dispensable) Normalmap controls
- Optimized performance and memory useage
- Improved zooming behaviour on large maps
- Added DXT5 warning for incompatible graphics cards
- Made preview image loading more compatible
- Added a "Quicklaunch Map" button to test the map directly

Version 0.25:
- Added "Resize Map" option
- Added "Remove Props" option
- Added "Remove Land Detail Features" option
- Added DDS to the list of Heightmap export filetypes
- Added DDS import and export for Texturemap and Normalmap
- Added automatic Calculation of Passabilitymap
- Added automatic calculation of Watermap
- Added "Display Water Overlay" option
- Added Water Level controls
- Replaced display and zooming technique completely
- Full SCMAP support

Version 0.22:
- Fixed a problem with maps disabling in-game map selection when it contains ' or " in name or description

Version 0.21:
- Added an option to select the game installation path

Version 0.2:
- First Beta Release

Known Issues

- Mouse<->Terrain intersection is still buggy. Items may not be attachted to the mouse correctly while dragging. In some situations you might not be able to select an item due to this bug. In this case flatten the terrain display by pressing Ctrl+T and select the item now.

- Props can't be rotated for now.

- Performance is bad on bigger maps

Infos for Webmasters

Feel free to add this Editor as a download to your site as long as you give proper credit. However, as long as it is technically possible, please DON'T upload it to other webservers. Best way would be to link to this thread or at least direct-link my download (THIS ONE) from your page to assure that people always get the latest version!

Screenshot

IPB Image

This post has been edited by HazardX: Aug 18 2014, 18:30 PM

Game: Supreme Commander

+
# 2Arthain Dec 30 2006, 06:11 AM
I'll submit my services to give it a good testing. Any preferences on what you want us to submit to you if we find a bug?
I'm looking forward to playing with this xD
Begone silly Hex Editing lol

Before I forget something I was going to sugggest to you earlier (I don't know if you have done this or not) but maybe set your Editor to 'snap' mass locations and the like to 0.5 intervals because anything that isn't *.0 or *.5 will be incorrectly positions for placing Extractors of Hydrocarbon Ractors on.

What are the exact settings for the *.RAW heightmaps? greyscale and 512x512?
Almost forgot to mention thats for Finn's Revenge. (512x512 aka 10 km map)

This post has been edited by Arthain: Dec 30 2006, 07:26 AM

+
# 3HazardX Dec 30 2006, 11:26 AM
QUOTE(Arthain @ Dec 30 2006, 07:11 AM) *

I'll submit my services to give it a good testing. Any preferences on what you want us to submit to you if we find a bug?

Just write it here to this thread with an as-detailed-as-possible description.

Before I forget something I was going to sugggest to you earlier (I don't know if you have done this or not) but maybe set your Editor to 'snap' mass locations and the like to 0.5 intervals because anything that isn't *.0 or *.5 will be incorrectly positions for placing Extractors of Hydrocarbon Ractors on.

Thanks for the warning. smile.gif The first version i made didn't snap those and the results were extremely strange. But the current version is correct already.

What are the exact settings for the *.RAW heightmaps? greyscale and 512x512?
Almost forgot to mention thats for Finn's Revenge. (512x512 aka 10 km map)

the heightmap is always 1 pixel bigger in width and height than the map itself. in this example you'll have to set it to 16bpp greyscale, 513x513 pixels, 1 channel, IBM byte order.
remember that the image in photoshop will be extremely dark. it might seem pitch black at first glance.

+
# 4Arthain Dec 30 2006, 12:37 PM
Oh yeah 513 x 513, I was thinking of it as a 2D model. Since it's actually a 3D model you need 513 edges to contain 512 segments.

So far I haven't found any bugs in it yet nice work xD

---------------- EDIT ----------------
It seems that the program I've been using just doesn't cut it for .RAW files. I'm using Paint Shop Pro 7 by the way. Gonna borrow a friends copy of Photoshop and have myself some fun.

This post has been edited by Arthain: Dec 30 2006, 13:35 PM

+
# 5Saya-T Dec 30 2006, 13:40 PM
wow really nice work hazard biggrin.gif
what are the island markers btw?

+
# 6HazardX Dec 30 2006, 14:27 PM
I'm not sure about them. They seem to help the AI to recognize islands, but i really don't know how it affects AI behaviour directly. The AI scripts could shed light on this maybe. I may look into it when i've got some time.

+
# 7Arthain Dec 30 2006, 14:37 PM
Actually I'm 99.9% certain about this: Those markers interact directly with the AI script and mark loactions on the map where the AI performs certain functions, I set 1 AI to roam free in Sandbox mode to see where it built things such as Defence and naval Factories in relation to these markers at both their original and a modified location and their behavior at these points is the same (except the different position). Hope that helps a little.

By the way HazardX, you should put a note that the Map files it reads from is in the Maps Folder of the Scenario Editors parent directory. Example: (for those who don't follow)
Say I extract the Editor into a folder at say *\Supreme Commander\Scenario Editor\ then I'd need to copy the maps folder from *\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Beta\Supreme Commander\ into the directory *\Supreme Commander which will result in a folder *\Supreme Commander\Maps\.

Hope that helps someone.

I found out why I couldn't load the Heightmaps before, Paint Shop Pro loads the file with the wrong settings and doesn't give you the option to change what needs to be changed. Nothing to do with the Editor ^.^

This post has been edited by Arthain: Dec 30 2006, 14:39 PM

+
# 8HazardX Dec 30 2006, 15:44 PM
QUOTE(Arthain @ Dec 30 2006, 03:37 PM) *

Actually I'm 99.9% certain about this: Those markers interact directly with the AI script and mark loactions on the map where the AI performs certain functions, I set 1 AI to roam free in Sandbox mode to see where it built things such as Defence and naval Factories in relation to these markers at both their original and a modified location and their behavior at these points is the same (except the different position). Hope that helps a little.

Yes, the AI uses the markers quite alot. those are the markers in detail:

Defensive Point - AI builds it's defenses here
Rally Point - Newly build troops of the AI will go here first
Combat Zone - zones where combats may evolve most likely. the AI uses those markers to align its defenses.
Island - seem to mark islands on the map to make them easier to recognize by the AI, not sure what is does exactly
Expansion Area - AI build forward bases here
Experimental Construction Point - preferred point for the AI to build experimentals at
Naval Area - AI builds naval factories and defenses here

QUOTE(Arthain @ Dec 30 2006, 03:37 PM) *

By the way HazardX, you should put a note that the Map files it reads from is in the Maps Folder of the Scenario Editors parent directory. Example: (for those who don't follow)
Say I extract the Editor into a folder at say *\Supreme Commander\Scenario Editor\ then I'd need to copy the maps folder from *\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Beta\Supreme Commander\ into the directory *\Supreme Commander which will result in a folder *\Supreme Commander\Maps\.

The Editor should always access the "maps" folder located in the directory where Supreme Commander was installed. It retrieves the location from the registry. There should be no need to copy any maps. It doesn't do this for you?

[EDIT] I've uploaded version 0.21 which has an improved path detection and prompts you for a valid SupCom path when necessary.

[EDIT] Oh and ignore the Edit/Test menu button... i forgot to take it out before release... it multiplys all marker positions by 0.5 and therfore moves all markers to the upper-left quarter of the map.

This post has been edited by HazardX: Dec 30 2006, 18:33 PM

+
# 9Glavitar Dec 30 2006, 21:50 PM
Well thought I would give your editor a try. I threw together a quick test map and saved it, now when I try to test it out i am unable to select maps when hosting a game. works fine again after I remove my map from the maps folder. any ideas, will give more info when I know what you need

also thanks for all your work, been loving your modded maps

+
# 10HazardX Dec 30 2006, 23:02 PM
QUOTE(Glavitar @ Dec 30 2006, 10:50 PM) *

Well thought I would give your editor a try. I threw together a quick test map and saved it, now when I try to test it out i am unable to select maps when hosting a game. works fine again after I remove my map from the maps folder. any ideas, will give more info when I know what you need

also thanks for all your work, been loving your modded maps

Ah, i'm pretty sure i've found the problem. You shouldn't use ' or " in name or description of your map, since this may corrupt the scenario file. I'm trying to fix this now.

[EDIT] Okay, version 0.22 is up. It fixes this problem. You should open the map with it and select "Save as..." to ensure everything is saved in the correct way.

This post has been edited by HazardX: Dec 30 2006, 23:31 PM

+
# 11Glavitar Dec 31 2006, 00:46 AM
well looks like that fixed it, though didn't have "or" in name or description. either way it works

my map is using the center of Open Palms, you start in the middle and is made to have 4 allied AI players against you, almost pulled off a win my first try. anyone else want to try?

+
# 12Arthain Dec 31 2006, 01:51 AM
The Editor should always access the "maps" folder located in the directory where Supreme Commander was installed. It retrieves the location from the registry. There should be no need to copy any maps. It doesn't do this for you?

[EDIT] I've uploaded version 0.21 which has an improved path detection and prompts you for a valid SupCom path when necessary.

Yeah Mine didn't find the directory correctly, I keep all my Mods in a folder at D:\Supreme Commander\* and my actual SupCom is in D:\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Beta\Supreme Commander
I was only getting my modded maps from D:\Supreme Commander\maps\* directory and when I moved everything there it worked a treat.

I'll download the latest version now and post the results.

+
# 13varanus-sapiens Dec 31 2006, 01:53 AM
hey cool!
just the hieghtmaps from SupCom maps? or any type of heightmap?

+
# 14Arthain Dec 31 2006, 02:43 AM
Interesting find:
There must be a setting for Water height because if you change a Heightmap on a land map such as Fields of Isis to incorperate what would be water you just get a huge canyon...

+
# 15varanus-sapiens Jan 1 2007, 23:58 PM
it is a sepparate altitude set elsewhere in the file. so on feilds of isis it would be nothing, while on, say roanoke, it might be, I dunno, 30 or 40 or something greater than the min. height on the map.

+
# 16Monkeh! Jan 2 2007, 03:37 AM
This thing is awesome. Heres the first thing i successfully got in game:

IPB Image

Thanks dude, im going to get a lot of use out of this. The only problem ive seen so far has to do with saving the bit map as 8-bit before you import it. That causes a lot of banding in the image which results in really rough terrain.

+
# 17Arthain Jan 2 2007, 07:17 AM
I think you are meant to save it as a .RAW file at 16-bit greyscale colour. I might be wrong though.

+
# 18Monkeh! Jan 2 2007, 07:54 AM
I tried to open up setons clutch in ps as a raw and it was a horrible mess. Is it possible to save as a raw and have it work just fine?

+
# 19HazardX Jan 2 2007, 12:46 PM
QUOTE(Monkeh! @ Jan 2 2007, 08:54 AM) *

I tried to open up setons clutch in ps as a raw and it was a horrible mess. Is it possible to save as a raw and have it work just fine?

At default, Photoshop tries to save the RAW file in Macintosh byte order. There is an selection box in the save dialog where you are able to select the IBM PC byte order. This should be fine.

+
# 20Arthain Jan 2 2007, 13:59 PM
Yeah use:
16 bit, Greyscale
Header Size: 0
Byte Order: IBM PC
and I think theres one other.
Either way when you get it right the first time it remembers the settings and sets them as default so after the first time it'll work like a charm.

Before I got a copy of Photoshop I couldn't do anything since Paint Shop Pro 7 doesn't let you select the Byte order and just opens them as Macintosh -.-"

This post has been edited by Arthain: Jan 2 2007, 14:32 PM

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)