Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Use of MG42

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 112azor Jun 25 2007, 17:36 PM
Use Of Machine Guns

Axis Tip #22

MGs are not to use primarily as static location defenses. They are mobile supression machines capable of completely negating one or more enemy squads whilst at the same time doing damage to them. Use volks/pios/bike to scout for MGs as they have greater range than LoS and so can be used from outside your opponents LoS (he won't know what's happening until his squad is supressed if you're using MG42s). This is invaluable as he will almost certainly use remaining squads to try and flank and then volks can be used to destroy the flanking squad as it runs due to movement penalties. The only times MGs should be used as static defenses are locking down a base entrence or when you do not intend to push any further on that side.

By 13laded

This post has been edited by daeyeth: Oct 31 2008, 03:30 AM

Clan: EPIC

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2General Grant Jun 25 2007, 19:01 PM
Not trying to hijack the tip of the week thread, but I put together a nice guide about MGs in the strategy forum if you want to know more about the uses of both allied and Axis MGs. Razor is very right when he says that they're much more than just a defensive unit, because if you move your MG42's or .30 cals forward aggressively to support your troops they will allow you to win many fights that you couldn't win otherwise. The .30 cal especially chews up Axis infantry like nothing else, only a sniper or a lucky mortar hit can usually kill them faster.

Moving your MGs also makes them harder to flank, because the allied player won't know quite where your MGs are if you move them after every attack. That really pays off against an opponent who has grenades, because one grenade can take out an entire MG if flanked.

Here's a link to the MG guide
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=237280

This post has been edited by General Grant: Jun 25 2007, 19:02 PM

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 3chief Jun 25 2007, 23:41 PM
nice tip. i think a lot of axis players forget that

Game: Cod World at War

+
# 4EthanSteele Jun 25 2007, 23:59 PM
Yeah, moving them works wonders, nothing like your opponent moving his rifles to where he "knows" they're safe from your mg, only to find it waiting!

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 5Xpunger Jun 26 2007, 03:54 AM
Great tip for axis players, because a lot of the times i just see an mg camp in a building. Rather than help out and fight with the rest of his squads.

+
# 6andarooo Jun 26 2007, 16:12 PM
and that first flaminghalftrack on the field can always be quickly taken down by good old armorpiercing rounds for 35 munitions. German mg is like no other though against inf!

+
# 7chaabk Jun 30 2007, 08:44 AM
should i only play aggressively with MGs if i only have at least 1 volks with MP40 defending it ?

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 8Unkn0wn Jun 30 2007, 10:38 AM
Agression is a must early game, at least untill you have secured a good part of the map =).

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)