Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Just out of curiosity

Do you actually like playing as/against the Brits?
34.38% (132)
Yes
65.62% (252)
No

Total Votes: 384

Closed Topic Start new topic
# 1FlatulentFiasco Jul 26 2008, 02:00 AM
I'm curious to see how popular or unpopular this faction is. Please note that this isn't a question of whether or not you think they're balanced, just a question of whether or not you have fun playing as or against them. Feel free to leave an explanation for your choice.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Kaiserbuffel Jul 26 2008, 02:10 AM
Games against brits are the most boring I've played.

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 3ShiftyShadow Jul 26 2008, 02:12 AM
playing as brits is boring, playing against brits is frustrating.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 4Greatness Jul 26 2008, 02:24 AM
Think of it like this, if there were no brits in the game and only american PE and Wher then you would always go against double american. Sniper spam Vs 2 PE or Infantry/AB Vs Wher/PE...Wher/Wher. No matter how you look at it there is a disadvantage. Chances are that if there were 2 americans Vs PE and Wher all the time they would win and figure out a strat to stop any axis advantage.

Brits are fine, and very easy to counter imo. Its just VP drain that makes me lose sometimes due to emplacements. I have no problems with brit, other than the fact that they are easy to play with but not against most of the time.

+
# 5tamiya Jul 26 2008, 02:50 AM
I really dislike playing vs brits, game is too slow and requires you to put in so much more effort.

Playing brits (at least in 1v1) is very boring for me now, the initial "oh look! new units to play around with" has worn off

Clan: ArX

+
# 6Landrick Jul 26 2008, 02:53 AM
i dont like playing WITH them either

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 7iaguz Jul 26 2008, 02:56 AM
I enjoy it.

Not ALL games, but there's enough entertainment, suspense and strategic thinking enough for me to think "well, this is enjoyment".

Some of my best games ever have been against British, namely Seph and IPlayForKeeps. They weren't boring.

+
# 8Pak88mm Jul 26 2008, 02:58 AM
played a 2v2 AT and i sucked sooo hard with them...yet the PE and Wehr combo had to take massive losses to just dent our crappy simcity. The worst part was me playing so horrid yet making the other team work so fucking hard to get anything done.

+
# 9Ptroy Jul 26 2008, 02:59 AM
i like it when im bored of playing other armies. usualy after i get spanked by a brit player and calling them OP i play brits, then i go and get wtfpwned cause i forgot i sucked as brits and blame my loss on brits being up.

+
# 10FlatulentFiasco Jul 26 2008, 03:08 AM
I haven't played team games in a long time, but I have played plenty of 1v1's against the Brits (I've only played as them a few times and I didn't like it at all) and I don't think they're exceptionally over powered. I do have a hard time beating them though. Not because they're OP (that's debatable) but because part of me would rather exit the game and take the loss than play the match out to the end. I just don't have fun playing nut cracker vs nut.
When it comes to a turtling British player, I don't think there's anything in this game that's more frustrating. They have an emplacement for everything, which forces you to use artillery but the problem there is their artillery is flat out better than yours. I mean, sure, I know how to beat that it's just going to take awhile and I'm not going to have fun doing it.

The design philosophy behind them seems poorly thought out. I'm sure a faction that thrives on turtling up and puking artillery everywhere appeals to the Vire River Valley annihilation crowd but those of us who enjoy the endless dance of cutting off and being cut off are given the shaft. The notion that most British infantry will walk slowly around enemy territory sounds nice on paper but in reality it's quite stupid. You mean to tell me that getting shot at won't quicken their pace? Do they really need an officer near them to tell them to run for their lives?

What I usually end up doing is racing to get some kind of armor before they can get reliable anti-tank weapons. Most of the time that wins the game for me but it's a very unsatisfying win since I avoided combat for as long as I could (how dull) and basically won the game by driving a tank into their face until they said "GG".

This post has been edited by FlatulentFiasco: Jul 26 2008, 03:10 AM

+
# 11RoboBobo Jul 26 2008, 03:13 AM
I like it. Nothing funner than looking at your sniper at the end of the game and seeing that he has 50 kills tongue.gif

Clan: LAID

Game: StarCraft

+
# 12GhettoJeppetto Jul 26 2008, 03:14 AM
I really enjoy brits all around, they are a nice flavour to the game in my opinion.

Game: Call of Duty 4

+
# 13kllthdyrctr Jul 26 2008, 03:24 AM
I don't play Random, for fear of having to play as Brits.

Every time a Brit opponent comes up in Automatch, I have to resist the urge to grab a pair of scissors.

Clan: Reign of Madness

+
# 14Airazor Jul 26 2008, 03:27 AM
i dont like it, because you put so much effort into the game whereas they just sit around doing A LOT less work...for the same effect.

+
# 15Enax Jul 26 2008, 03:29 AM
I dislike the brits, i would rather play against any of the unholy OPness of any faction from any point in CoH history than play against the brits.

Game: Hardware

+
# 16Yote Jul 26 2008, 03:44 AM
I like the Brits, I find it an interesting faction because it's so unusual.
I don't like playing against them, but that's mostly because I don't like PE and I find Wehrmacht boring against them. Not frustrating or difficult, just boring.

+
# 17BoH Jul 26 2008, 04:50 AM
I loathe them with the 1000 intensities of the sun.

+
# 18Feynmaniac Jul 26 2008, 05:33 AM
Describing my hatred for the British in words would not do said hatred any justice.

Once they have dug in, all hope is lost.

Here's several was as to how they should be balanced:
1. Make emplacements easily de-crewed by Mortar Half-tracks/Nebels/Stukas. Why? Because then you can actually cause the British player harm from out of his reach. He will pay dearly for that plot of land he is squatting on!

2. Up the pop cost of the emplacements; sure, he's grabbed a bit of land, but try calling in commandos or a Churchill. Alternatively, give a pop cost to the Armor command and the Field Support. Thus, if hey digs in too much, he sacrifices teching capability.

Similarly, the British need serious buffs so that, without their precious emplacements, they can compete. Don't ask me what they should be. I only know they will be needed.

EDIT:
Furthermore, give the British two tiers of economic upgrades; one for the basic OP, and the other for the advanced OP. I understand making it more accessible, but I would do that by making it cheaper, not $%^#ing free! Try playing on St. Mere Dumont; it's a mess. You have practically no resources, but the British OP's allow them to out-power you economically. Yuck.

This post has been edited by Logabob: Jul 26 2008, 07:15 AM

Game: Grey Goo

+
# 19Alcorr Jul 26 2008, 07:17 AM
I haven't played team games in a long time, but I have played plenty of 1v1's against the Brits (I've only played as them a few times and I didn't like it at all) and I don't think they're exceptionally over powered. I do have a hard time beating them though. Not because they're OP (that's debatable) but because part of me would rather exit the game and take the loss than play the match out to the end. I just don't have fun playing nut cracker vs nut.
When it comes to a turtling British player, I don't think there's anything in this game that's more frustrating. They have an emplacement for everything, which forces you to use artillery but the problem there is their artillery is flat out better than yours. I mean, sure, I know how to beat that it's just going to take awhile and I'm not going to have fun doing it.

The design philosophy behind them seems poorly thought out. I'm sure a faction that thrives on turtling up and puking artillery everywhere appeals to the Vire River Valley annihilation crowd but those of us who enjoy the endless dance of cutting off and being cut off are given the shaft. The notion that most British infantry will walk slowly around enemy territory sounds nice on paper but in reality it's quite stupid. You mean to tell me that getting shot at won't quicken their pace? Do they really need an officer near them to tell them to run for their lives?

What I usually end up doing is racing to get some kind of armor before they can get reliable anti-tank weapons. Most of the time that wins the game for me but it's a very unsatisfying win since I avoided combat for as long as I could (how dull) and basically won the game by driving a tank into their face until they said "GG".

EXACTLY. The very inherent nature of the brits is counterintuitive to the way CoH was designed to work. Thus, even if the game was 100% balanced (which its not) it still wouldn't be fun playing against the brits...

+
# 20lachlanmann Jul 26 2008, 07:37 AM
When i play as brits, i try to be as moving as possible, and build maybe 2 emplacements (Mt Pit and a 17 pndr if tanks), to make the gae enjoyable for me and the opponent.

The problem is, the brits have 6 units (excluding captains, luies, CCT, and non doctrinal units), and they are shit slow without the luie's, which makes camping easy, and being mobile hard.

This is the way they were designed though.
go figure

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)