Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Composure

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1SayNoToStim Apr 17 2009, 10:06 AM
discussion for General Tip of the week #85 - Composure, by Joe.

This post has been edited by warhawks: Apr 18 2009, 13:24 PM

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2VAILoN Apr 17 2009, 10:56 AM
Nice writeup thumb.gif

I would like to add the #1 of Sepha's Article about how to become a better CoH player that was published ages ago. Here it is:

1: Having the right state of mind

One of the best quotes for having the right state of mind in any game and being able to get better without having to worry about losing or playing horribly, "you only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent". This quote embodies everything you will need to tackle on the psychological side of CoH. First you will have to accept that you are not the best player out there and likely won't ever be, but that you CAN use that fact towards your advantage. The great thing is by having so many people better than you, it means there is a massive amount of people and talent to learn from and the more you play against these talented, experienced players the better you are going to become.

Tap into the best players in the game and learn from every game you play to become better, if someone performs better in a game or outplayed you, it's an opportunity to learn from that game and how they played, this way you can adapt that into your future games. If you steam rolled someone with ease within 10 minutes, you're not going to learn anything at all and it will often be a waste of time. If you strive to play against the best players in the game and take on the best challenges then you're going to learn more, get smarter and ultimately become a better player. This is why seeking to learn and become better is a much more important state of mind to have, not winning.

A big problem in the way of many players is the fear of losing games when they go into them, automatch games you play seeking to win but don't come out successful will be a let down and make your play worse rather than better. Whereas if you go into a game seeking to learn and get better, invite a challenge with the hope that you'll get something out of it, there's no way of losing. This is one of the main points that causes things like drophacking and cheating to happen in games, performing these actions or like I said before steam rolling a worse player is not going to make you better at the game, it's more likely to make you worse. Hoping to earn respect by having a high rank and winning lots of games is not the best state of mind to have when playing rts or any game for that matter. Trying to get better at games by welcoming a challenge and constantly trying to play against the best players to learn something new is an excellent way to get better.

This post has been edited by VAILoN: Apr 17 2009, 10:57 AM

+
# 3N3it1 Apr 17 2009, 13:26 PM
Cant really have fun when Hans misses 3 times in a row tbh post-13661-1143531603.gif
Nice writeup tho.

+
# 4deadhero Apr 17 2009, 13:26 PM
Cool. Sage advice. Is the thing I love most of the game, if I can take control of me during the game I can in other real situations of life. -I cant allways-.

"Dont expect to win"

This is also in the old japanese doctrine of the Budo. Mostoku = without goal or profit. When you shot with the bow, dont think in hit the target, relax, control your breath, concentrate on what you are doing and just shot. numchuks.gif

This post has been edited by deadhero: Apr 17 2009, 13:30 PM

+
# 5UtopiaV1 Apr 17 2009, 14:39 PM
Yea, i used to have that problem a lot, especially when i was doing a team game and it turns out my teammate has never played the game before/is failing on purpose for lols etc. The only way i've found to get around the problems of rage and mind-blocks is to simply take a deep breath, do your best in the game, then when you fail - save the reply and look at your opponents' tactic later, and then nick it!!! Then next time you see him, use it against him, or have a perfect counter to his strategy ready and waiting, give him a nasty surprise tongue.gif

Great article btw, i love these 'psychology of CoH' articles floating around these days, its a real in-depth examination of the philosophy and mind-games of the best strategy game ever! Keep em up... thum.gif

+
# 6noobady Apr 17 2009, 15:24 PM
THE BESTT POST EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

+
# 7BoH Apr 17 2009, 15:44 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed your write up. Very good read w00t.gif

I thought you were writing about me about 8 times laugh.gif

This post has been edited by BoH: Apr 17 2009, 15:44 PM

+
# 8TheBreeze Apr 17 2009, 18:28 PM
Ah, I was working on such an article for the last couple of days... You were faster than me, obviously. u0udiablo.gif

Interesting writeup. It was very well written. thum.gif

Good job, man! smile.gif

+
# 9ElDiabolo Apr 17 2009, 19:45 PM
I think most players will know exactly what you are talking about!

Just ask everyone on the coc mumbel server biggrin.gif

+
# 10SirDuke Apr 17 2009, 20:04 PM
ahh that's so funny. Everything in the article was EXACTLY how I act while playing the game. I get frustrated a lot, and even though I know it's just a game, and don't play it that much, I probably take it WAY too seriously. It's the only game where i've actually broken a sweat. At least I don't lash out at other players when my vet 3 rifle squad dies. Pretty funny to listen to in a team game though tongue.gif.

+
# 11Maximus2964 Apr 17 2009, 20:52 PM
For the most part I'd agree, but I just don't understand this mentality around GR that is almost AGAINST wanting to win ; as if you're automatically a better person if you just say "well I don't care if i win or lose, it's about the fun." Personally, i DO care if i win or lose and it's about the fun; and I can't believe anyone else feels differently. I'm not trying to attack or say this is the real mindset, it just appears that way and I'd like someone to maybe explain this a little better. But if not, so be it; i won't lose sleep over it. wink.gif

And I know exactly what you mean doomsdaydave11, in some of the longer and more intense games I've started to sweat nervously; this game can really get the endorphins pumping. bowdown.gif

+
# 12Ionia Apr 17 2009, 21:56 PM
It's really annoying when you have stupid stuff happen to you GAME AFTER GAME. Nowaday's I find it harder to find good, legitmate fun games out there.

Played a 2v2 automatch with my friend. Gilroy's Harbour. Strike 1
Tried out PanzerKrieg with same guy. 3rd Guy dropped. Strike 2
Played new map Red Ball Express. 3rd Guy had no idea what to do.

STRIKE 3 I FEEL A STROKE COMIN ON.

Best medicine is to watch replays of a more glorious game.

+
# 13kickserve Apr 17 2009, 23:33 PM
Always look on the bright side of life....
Nice article. 95% of people dont understand this, and really, Why not be happy? It's a game, a fun one. If Hans misses 3 times in a row, whatever. It all evens out in the end. YOu can still enjoy yourself.

+
# 14Aonsh1x Apr 18 2009, 00:49 AM
This is a fantastic article, up there with (I think Aftermath's) article about being in the right frame of mind.

Still, reading advice is one thing, taking it on is harder sad.gif

+
# 15Apollyon Apr 18 2009, 08:51 AM
There is not one game that pisses me off more then COH. Why I do not know, but I have yelled at my monitor hundreds of times. Something about this game just pisses me the fuck off when it doesn't go my way. Someone tell me why...

+
# 16logre Apr 18 2009, 12:34 PM
Very usefull article.
Thank you Sir.

+
# 17mohawkny115 Apr 19 2009, 00:26 AM
Very awesome article. I definitely have those days where I just can't seem to do anything in game right and get frustrated and mad as a result. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
I suppose fun is hard to come by when you go into the match thinking you got a idea in your head on how the match is gonna play out in your favor but in the end you lose after your plan falls apart to what your opponent just did to you.
Just have to learn to roll with the punches I guess.

Game: Dark Crusade

+
# 1840oz Apr 19 2009, 00:50 AM
Good read, I was hoping it would be longer cuz it was quite interesting smile.gif, and you are truly right. Calmness and the least amount of care for the game (but keeping your determination) are really key to the game. Fortunately enough though, it is somewhat easy to adhere to this state of mind. I myself smashed my headsets, keyboards and mice before meeting this dude i play with today who taught me to stay chill smile.gif.

+
# 19Hypnopediac Apr 19 2009, 03:13 AM
+1 to patience and composure. Nice write up. Sometimes it helps to cure the ills we know about when someone else points them out.

This post has been edited by Hypnopediac: Apr 19 2009, 03:14 AM

+
# 20GerryHYH Apr 19 2009, 10:10 AM
Good guide! Thanks! smile.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)