Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth

Posible fix for exception access violation crashes

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Catspaw Apr 23 2005, 09:10 AM
I have gotten this error every game last 3 days. 0wn3d.gif No help from EA as you have also found out. What finally worked for me ( 2 successful games in row without crashing = first time i have been able to play
since day of patch) was following:
1. Un install . Make sure saved games/profiles go as well
2. Remove/delete bfme folder from application data folder ( go C:\Documents and Settings\"owner name"\Application Data\My Battle for Middle-earth Files
3. re-install. Make sure it is a clean install that will launch without error from desktop icon or program list. This was a roadblock for me for a while; Had to uninstall a few times , clean dvd, light incense etc...sorta reminded me of RA2 install:)
BE CAREFUL HERE. If it fails to launch and gives 'game crash' error report ( which can be very quick "flicker" across screen) it will still update if you press update button on autorun screen. IF YOU DO THIS THE GAME WILL UPDATE AND , FOLLOWING UPDATE, WILL LAUNCH AND APPEAR TO RUN GAME SUCCESSFULLY. IT WILL STILL CRASH WITH "EXCEPTION ACCESS VIOLATION" error AT SOME POINT IN EVERY GAME HOWEVER, WTF.gif As u know this is a pisser and very depressing.
4. Update only after it will launch without error message. Play a skirmish or campaign for a few minutes to make sure all ok before updating to p1.02
5. Make new nick. Call it ALwaYSCrashessince1.02 or something.
6. Cross fingers and try it out

Worked for me. thumb.gif
So far whistling.gif

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 2Dr.Evil Apr 23 2005, 18:57 PM
Suspect your problem is due to the BFME temp file ~e5.0001 being switched to read only. This was happening to me. Switching to read/write fixed the problem. The problem would then reoccur randomly at a later time. I repeat the fix and it was fine. Got new power supply now no problems. If u change any hardware EA suggest reinstall or deleting options.ini file. On launching the game the file will be remade and store your current hardware configurations.

Dr.Evil

Clan: The Holy and the Damned

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 3CaptainOats Feb 7 2011, 22:12 PM
This is a definate fix for the Exception Access Violation error.
Go to c>user>account name>appdata>roaming>my battle for middle earth files and there create an options.ini file (in notepad)
Put this in the file

AllHealthBars = yes
AlternateMouseSetup = no
AmbientVolume = 81
AnimationLOD = UltraHigh
AudioLOD = Low
Brightness = 50
DecalLOD = Off
EffectsLOD = UltraHigh
FixedStaticGameLOD = UltraHigh
FlashTutorial = 0
GameSpyIPAddress = 192.168.0.2
HasSeenLogoMovies = yes
HeatEffects = yes
IdealStaticGameLOD = Low
IsThreadedLoad = yes
ModelLOD = UltraHigh
MovieVolume = 70
MusicVolume = 78
Resolution = 1280 960
SFXVolume = 80
ScrollFactor = 29
SendDelay = no
ShaderLOD = UltraHigh
ShadowLOD = UltraHigh
StaticGameLOD = UltraHigh
TerrainLOD = High
TextureQualityLOD = High
TimesInGame = 63
UnitDecals = yes
UseEAX3 = no
VoiceVolume = 69
WaterLOD = UltraHigh

This worked for my windows seven and my friends!!

+
# 4CENTAUER Feb 7 2011, 22:43 PM
OMG

you bump 5 years old topic , Jesus..

someone lock this , Imo..

Clan: Sons of Elendil

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 5AwfuL Feb 10 2011, 12:26 PM
I've moved this to the tech support forum where bumping old topics is not such a big problem smile.gif

And the information he gave could be pretty useful.

Clan: Brothers of War

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 6Forlong Feb 16 2011, 21:51 PM
QUOTE(AwfuL @ Feb 10 2011, 06:26 AM) *
I've moved this to the tech support forum where bumping old topics is not such a big problem smile.gif

And the information he gave could be pretty useful.

Actually it's BS, he's saying that you can reduce memory leaks by putting all of your graphics settings up as high as they can go, which obviously will have the opposite effect. So if you're having exception access violations, I would not recommend following this procedure. tongue.gif

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 7Miho Feb 17 2011, 12:33 PM
Well, the important thing is this:

QUOTE(CaptainOats @ Feb 7 2011, 23:12 PM) *
Go to c>user>account name>appdata>roaming>my battle for middle earth files and there create an options.ini file (in notepad)

The content of the file doesn't matter. BfME doesn't run without an options.ini. Although I can't remember if a missing options.ini caused an access violation or just a splash screen crash.

Clan: LeGenD`

Game: Hardware

+
# 8DouglasDj May 19 2011, 12:23 PM
Thank you for not removing this article.

It actually did work for me.

I am running windows 7 basic 32-bit.

Nothing else worked, all the several install ways, patches and what not all (i am no fundi) but what captainoats suggested actually worked, first time no hassles, gameplay not affected.

Thank you.

+
# 9M3RL1N May 19 2011, 18:34 PM
QUOTE(DouglasDj @ May 19 2011, 13:23 PM) *

Thank you for not removing this article.

It actually did work for me.

I am running windows 7 basic 32-bit.

Nothing else worked, all the several install ways, patches and what not all (i am no fundi) but what captainoats suggested actually worked, first time no hassles, gameplay not affected.

Thank you.

Yes it works because, as Miho says, you need an options.ini file, but it's best if you don run the game at such high specs.

+
# 10Forlong May 21 2011, 14:50 PM
Yup.

QUOTE(Miho @ Feb 17 2011, 07:33 AM) *
The content of the file doesn't matter. BfME doesn't run without an options.ini. Although I can't remember if a missing options.ini caused an access violation or just a splash screen crash.

+
# 11DouglasDj May 24 2011, 14:40 PM
QUOTE(M3RL1N @ May 19 2011, 18:34 PM) *

Yes it works because, as Miho says, you need an options.ini file, but it's best if you don run the game at such high specs.

Ok that made no sense.

It would not open the game at all. Added that file, and it worked.

Did the same with battel for middle earth 2, and it also worked, same prob.

+
# 12Forlong Jun 6 2011, 03:28 AM
The point is, adding the file fixes the problem you are having, but those are the worst possible specs to put in it if you're trying to avoid exception access violations while playing... just create an empty file instead and let the game determine what settings you should be playing at! wink.gif

+
# 13darthreznor May 5 2014, 19:43 PM
Hey, so I have windows 8 and there is no appdata>roaming>my battle for middle earth files on the computer. After my account name it just gives me a bunch of other options. There is an appdata file in a separate section fo my computer, but then there is no roaming. I'm sure there is a different way for me to input this fix but I can't figure out how

QUOTE(CaptainOats @ Feb 7 2011, 22:12 PM) *

This is a definate fix for the Exception Access Violation error.
Put this in the file
AllHealthBars = yes
AlternateMouseSetup = no
AmbientVolume = 81
AnimationLOD = UltraHigh
AudioLOD = Low
Brightness = 50
DecalLOD = Off
EffectsLOD = UltraHigh
FixedStaticGameLOD = UltraHigh
FlashTutorial = 0
GameSpyIPAddress = 192.168.0.2
HasSeenLogoMovies = yes
HeatEffects = yes
IdealStaticGameLOD = Low
IsThreadedLoad = yes
ModelLOD = UltraHigh
MovieVolume = 70
MusicVolume = 78
Resolution = 1280 960
SFXVolume = 80
ScrollFactor = 29
SendDelay = no
ShaderLOD = UltraHigh
ShadowLOD = UltraHigh
StaticGameLOD = UltraHigh
TerrainLOD = High
TextureQualityLOD = High
TimesInGame = 63
UnitDecals = yes
UseEAX3 = no
VoiceVolume = 69
WaterLOD = UltraHigh

This worked for my windows seven and my friends!!

+
# 14Davey Murray Jun 5 2014, 01:12 AM
Hey guys. I'm a witch king player but I've been wanting to play the campaign on bfme 1 but of course I'm having this issue. I've tried making the options file and what not. Nothing seems to work. Could someone, possibly send me the files I need?

Clan: Knights of Ea

+
# 15fa2ony Apr 27 2015, 13:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkZPe42m_zk...eature=youtu.be

Sorry for no proof to the video as I already uninstalled the PhysX by Nvidia and Reinstalled it already before I made this video but trust me this works...

The problem is that once you already installed the PhysX to the latest version without installing this game, the PhysX files required to play this game is missing so by Uninstalling the previously installed PhysX and then reinstalling the PhysX found by the Prison Breaks folder it installs all the required files needed to succesfully run this game...

The Master of Error Fixes!
TheSolarrisX

Take Care Good Luck...

Download:-
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6b4fex4e...k+Physx+Fix.msi

This post has been edited by fa2ony: Apr 27 2015, 17:04 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)